speaking of luxury... (PG)

flyerdreamer

Regarding the PG, what is the deal with the onboard butlers? Don't you already have a steward? What do the butlers do that is above and beyond the normal cruise stewards? Do you find the "B" class cabins and their accompanying butlers worth the price differential from the jump from C to B? I notice the stateroom size isn't that different. I'd love to hear your opinions and experiences!

It's coming down to the wire for me to upgrade from my E for the Jun 21st voyage (with THREE of us in the cabin, btw), and I keep thinking I'm going to feel suffocated without that balcony!!!

Thanks so much! Love all the posts. Travelbug, you always make me smile. Loved your pix, too. I hope we're on the same ship someday!

~Sue

We've spent 14 days on the PG in a "C" cabin. Though the cabin is smallish (we've been spoiled by the Voyager standard cabins), it is very nice and it works with a balcony. We don't have anything for a butler to do so we don't need one. But I can't imagine enjoying the same cabin with only a port hole which is what you get in "E" I think. Go for the upgrade! Patrick

Hi Sue! I can't imagine needing a butler, especially on the P.G. I have never spent less time in my room than on that ship. There is just so much to do in every port and then so much to do on board, the majority of time spent in my room was either sleeping or changing. And our room steward was great!

Well, I just booked #7003. It's one of the new cabins and the only B on Deck 7 (slightly bigger stateroom, slightly smaller balcony). I'd rather have a triple, double-double C but at this time I am waitlisted for one. Meanwhile, I guess I'll just fantasize about what we can use the butler for. I bet he's the most underused one on the ship! Actually, it'll be nice to have someone to make reservations for me, etc, as a mom traveling with my 2 kids alone.

Sue, that's great! I was wondering when someone was going to mention booking one of those new deck 7 cabins. You prompted me to look at the deck plans on the RSSC website - and sure enough, the new one is posted! We are in a category B, as well, on deck 8, so maybe we can compare our cabins to see if there is any difference!

I think the passengers who are doing the crossing are boarding tomorrow - I really hope someone posts here regarding the changes - I am so eager to hear about them!

Sue, that's great! I was wondering when someone was going to mention booking one of those new deck 7 cabins. You prompted me to look at the deck plans on the RSSC website - and sure enough, the new one is posted! We are in a category B, as well, on deck 8, so maybe we can compare our cabins to see if there is any difference!

I was a little worried booking the new B because like someone mentioned here, how can you tell if the scale is close to accurate. But the other night when I called, they freely gave out the square feet--those new Cs ARE quite large. The RSSC agent said she didn't know why they didn't make them Bs. Maybe because the balconies are narrower in depth? Maybe because they are not in such a favorable location on the ship? Don't know. I tried to get one but of course they were booked solid.

According to the new diagram, the new B I booked looked a little larger to me than the Bs on deck 8--and in fact it is: 256 sq ft with a 46 sq ft balcony whereas the Bs up on deck 8 are billed as 249 sq ft and 56 sq ft balcony. So I did sacrifice a bit with the veranda but got it back in the room. Yes, Kristin, we'll definitely have to see if there's any difference other than that!

I, too, wonder what the crew thinks of all this. That's because I *am* crew. My "ship" carries as many passengers as the Paul Gauguin except that it is a 747-400. As an airline pilot, my first thoughts are always how changes like this affect the ship's officers. But they are probably much like us--highly trained/educated professionals who simply take the cutbacks in stride and make do with the inconveniences. What else can you do? Competition is fierce these days and fuel costs are skyhigh (excuse the pun)

Now as long as I don't find the captain snoozing in our cabin on breaks... :)

Archived