Penthouse Occupants on QM2

Trail46

For those lucky people with penthouse experience on the QM2, would you recommend one particluar location over another?

Thanks so much!

QM2 doesn't really have a penthouse, does it?

The highest accomodation deck is steerage, as I remember.

Matthew

Matthew

Hmm! Steerage. That's what the captain does, no? Steers the ship.

So you are saying that this is the Captain's Quarters! cool!

For those lucky people with penthouse experience on the QM2, would you recommend one particluar location over another?

Thanks so much!

There aren't that many Q4s on the QM2; 9051 and 9060 are more amidships than the others. We had a Q5, 9043, in '04 (thanks to a "that's another story" upgrade from 10050). We met the couple in 9051 a few times and they had no complaints.

Ignore Matthew's "steerage" comment; he must be expressing a need for "guidance", in his most "kindly..." way, of course.

Paul

We're just retired civil servants looking to splurge on a special vacation.

I think that you should book a PG cabin instead of a QG cabin, and then take two special vacations. You have earned it! Seriously, the Q4s are half again as wide as the Q5s, which are half again as wide as the P1s. Unless you plan to entertain a lot, you don't need all that room and you don't need a butler; go twice instead.

Paul

Knew I'd risk derision asking about the penthouse, but simply seeking information. We're just retired civil servants looking to splurge on a special vacation.

Trail 46....No derision here, believe me...jealousy perhaps, but definitely not derision. Just ignore Matthew...he's not had the good fortune to experience how special QM2 can be in any location.

But I'd be inclined to agree with PB82 and say go twice....how much time does one spend in a cabin and what the heck do us normal people need with a butler? There is so much to do on QM2 that you will run out of time before you've done it all.

And congratulations on that retired status...you've earned the best.

Cheers, Penny

Just ignore Matthew...he's not had the good fortune to experience how special QM2 can be in any location.

But I'd be inclined to agree with PB82 and say go twice

I'd agree there as well - although not for the reasons Penny suggests (Matthew is right - QM2 hasn't any penthouses, just long, long, corridors:( I've not been on the QM2 either although we have all been with Cunard). Except I think I'd advise going Britannia - if you go once,then twice you'll be desperate to book for a third, fourth, fifth, etc time. If you can afford to go in the Grills repeatedly then do, but if you can only afford the Britannia repeatedly then do that instead of a one off Grill!

...But I'd be inclined to agree with PB82 and say go twice....

I'd agree there as well ... If you can afford to go in the Grills repeatedly then do, but if you can only afford the Britannia repeatedly then do that instead of a one off Grill!

The votes are in and you have won! Go, go.

Bon voyage, bon voyage,

Paul

Matthew

Trail46

There are just 6 'penthouse' suites on QM2 and the positions are more or less the same. Unfortunately I haven't been in any of them but the views from 9 and 10 decks are wonderful. Unless you are going for a one off trip of a lifetime (in which case go for the penthouse) I'd agree with the others and say go for PG and get two sailings or a longer back to back. PG cabins are as large as most of the suites on QE2 and the Princess Grill is just as lovely as Queens Grill.

Matthew

The only reason QE2 has so called real 'penthouses' is because they had to bolt on those tin prefabs on the top deck as an afterthought. :D

Again, no steerage on QM2 - that's another QE2 special called Mauretania Class. Though to be fair to Cunard they do 'fess up' in the latest brochure with pictures and square footage of the 100 sq feet cupboards with bunkbeds :rolleyes:

Ken

There are just 6 'penthouse' suites on QM2 and the positions are more or less the same.

Ken - I am glad you used quotes! To me a Penthouse is at the top of a structure. In fact http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=penthouse says S: (n) penthouse (an apartment located on the top floors of a building). Only Cunard could think that decks 9 and 10 were at the top of the ship.

Since Penthouse cabins mean dining in the Queens Grill, choosing an aft cabin will allow you to walk less before and after meals. Other than that, location is quite irrelevant. As for the cabin itself, it definitely is more luxurious than lower-priced staterooms (there is a greater difference, for instance, between a Q4 and a Q5 than between a Q5 and a P1 in terms of space, décor, etc.) While it is true that you could travel twice if you spent half the amount of money (not a terribly profound observation), if you have cruised before and are looking forward to a luxurious experience, I say go for the Penthouse!

Ken - I am glad you used quotes! To me a Penthouse is at the top of a structure. In fact http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=penthouse says S: (n) penthouse (an apartment located on the top floors of a building). Only Cunard could think that decks 9 and 10 were at the top of the ship.

Indeed. And they make the same mistake on the Sicky Vicky. We (currently) have a reservation for the Maiden Voyage in a "penthouse" with cabins above us.....

I think it will be that trip, on the North Sea in winter, that we'll realise just why she's called the Sicky Vicky......

Matthew

Indeed. And they make the same mistake on the Sicky Vicky. We (currently) have a reservation for the Maiden Voyage in a "penthouse" with cabins above us.....

I think it will be that trip, on the North Sea in winter, that we'll realise just why she's called the Sicky Vicky......

Matthew

Funny ... why don't Cunard sell 'penthouse' suites on the QE2 then ??? :rolleyes:

As QV and QM2 'penthouses' are at about the same level above the water as the tin prefabs on Tin Lizzie then perhaps the ship's movement in the 'penthouse' suites in all ships will be similarly accentuated??? :rolleyes:

Matthew, I really think it's time you cancelled your QV maiden voyage reservation and let someone who will appreciate it have the experience ..... or ..... put your hands up to being a hypocrite :rolleyes:

Ken

Thanks to those of you who actually replied to my question about the penthouse (Q4) category, which simply asked if one Q4 location was less desirable than another (lack of privacy on the balcony, for instance).

Matthew,

PLEASE dont cancel the maiden voyage. I'm on it too and was hoping to persuade you to start a cabin cavalcade with me. Just think how much fun you'll have poking around in steerage and telling me all about the exclusive areas I won't be able to visit ;)

Teresa

(lack of privacy on the balcony, for instance).

Amidships balconies are more private than fore or aft balconies (there are elevators and observation decks fore, and deck areas aft available to those that wish to stare). Go with 9051 or 9060. But do go, you will have a well deserved ball.

Paul

Trail46 - I've often had the same questions myself with basically the same results. Perhaps, when you return, you would be so generous as to provide the answers to the next round of questions. I for one would appreciate the answers as they seem scarce.

Matthew,

PLEASE dont cancel the maiden voyage. I'm on it too and was hoping to persuade you to start a cabin cavalcade with me. Just think how much fun you'll have poking around in steerage and telling me all about the exclusive areas I won't be able to visit ;)

Teresa

Teresa .... you could be the person to provide and start the Cruise Critic Log Book on QV - what about it???

Ken

We have one of the very aft Q4s...will we have privacy issues?

Not likely, but should the unfortunates consigned to the port duplex (Balmoral) or to the starboard duplex (Sandringham) choose to gaze out at more normal folk, just wave and smile at them until their envy subsides.

Teresa .... you could be the person to provide and start the Cruise Critic Log Book on QV - what about it???

Ken

Ken,

More than up for that. Also ColinCameron has volunteered on another thread. One way or the other we'll get it covered and have an inaugural toast to QV reviews on CC :)

Ken,

More than up for that. Also ColinCameron has volunteered on another thread. One way or the other we'll get it covered and have an inaugural toast to QV reviews on CC :)

Teresa

well done and I'm sure you will have a wonderful time - I'll look forward to signing it next January

Ken

Archived