A few questions?????

blackpool belle

I am thinking of booking a Transatlantic cruise next May or June. What are the sea conditions (usually) at that time of year? Can the Atlantic ever be like a mill pond or is it always a bit of a rough passage?

I have cruised before (but never with Cunard) and always have a balcony cabin. Is a balcony worth it on a six night sailing? Is the weather nice enough to get the benefit of a balcony?

Is it best to book Port or Starboard for being on the "right" side when passing the Statue of Liberty approaching New York?

Any info gratefully received.

we did a TA last july , it was mill pond every day, though some wanted it rough, I dont think you need a outside cabin-it was windy very windy.

as for the statue of liberty well I would you would be up on deck with most people, but its on the port side going in

Hello Belle,

The North Atlantic is impossible to predict.

Yes, it can sometimes be like a mill pond, so, no, it is not always rough, but can be, anytime of year. :confused:

But, unless conditions are very rough, on QM2 you are likely to not feel a thing. :D

Only you can decide if a balcony is worth the cost.

On a crossing, there is a chance that your balcony may be worth nothing more than a quick peek over the rail, what with wind, spray, and maybe rain.

When arriving in New York, the Statue will be on the port side.

Wherever you end up on the ship, have a wonderfull crossing. :)

Hello Belle

fairly obv also from Blackpool,and so wanted to say hello

Have done crossings both ways on QM2 in april/may and September and the seas have varied......next year we are booked in June for return NYC-Southampton.

Go for port side for all the reasons given already..........it is a wonderful experience

Chris and Sheila

bb, here are a few excerpts from the Captain's Journal about the weather and views during crossings late May and early June last year. The midday temperature was in the 10-15C, 50-60F, range mostly, always breezy of course.

Wednesday 24th May 2006 ... continued to enjoy fine seas and excellent visibility.

Thursday 25th May ... slight seas and a short low northerly swell.

Friday 26th May ... light northerly winds and slight seas.

Saturday 27th May ... gray skies and moderate visibility

Wednesday 31st May ... moderate seas and a short, low southerly swell.

Thursday 1st June ... seas remained comfortable ... clearing skies creating a beautiful, sunny afternoon.

Friday 2nd June ... gray skies with moderate visibility ...

Sunday 4th June ... we embarked our New York pilot at 0330. Just after 0430 we passed under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. ... the Statue of Liberty was clearly visible off the port bow as we slowed down to commence a swing off Governors Island. We then backed down Buttermilk Channel. ...

Note that after the QM2 turns around off Governors Island, the Statue of Liberty will be to starboard. We had a starboard side cabin and as the ship approached New York we enjoyed seeing the lights of the Long Island shore, getting more numerous and brighter the closer we came to JFK and the bridge. We saw the pilot's boat "dock" with the moving QM2 from our balcony.

Bon voyage,

Paul

Like others have mentioned, the Atlantic is tricky. We anticipated smooth waters and hit a squall coming out of Southampton - 24 hrs later I was feeling well enough to crawl. Like others have said, having a balcony on a TA depends on what standing out in sea spray is worth to ya! <grin>

June 28 '07 - - night 3 of 6 -- Captain skirted a significant low pressure system all day by altering course to the north. At some point we had to veer south and go through it, and he timed it so that the worst of the storm would happen in the wee hours of the morning.

Conditions were full gale, and as we were heading into it, winds on deck were about 80 mph. Swells were 20ft.

I did not hear of anyone getting sick, but the roll and pitch was clearly noticeable. Small items slid off my dresser. A large vase in Commodore Club fell to the floor, according to the bartender. We were told not to go out on deck. Almost all doors to deck had barricades stating "closed: high winds".

QM2 did handle the weather well, I'd say.

the rest of the crossing was rainy windy or cloudy windy, with occasional fair periods. The last day was cool but alternating foggy and sunny and my group all got sunburns in the hot tub. It was worth it.

Another question :confused:

We may have to put the sailing back to June 26th in which case we would be in New York for the 4th July. Has anybody witnessed or can describe the Independence Day Parade/celebrations. Is it not to be missed?

Around 9:00pm/2100 NYC time the department store Macy's hosts a fireworks display so grand they show it on television, and it even looks grand there. I couldn't say where the ideal viewing spots are, but since you'll be amongst the natives, they would be happy to offer suggestions.

I believe they shoot them off a barge in the East River, which is the Red Hook Terminal side of Manhattan Island. :p

Another question :confused:

We may have to put the sailing back to June 26th in which case we would be in New York for the 4th July. Has anybody witnessed or can describe the Independence Day Parade/celebrations. Is it not to be missed?

Although We havent seen the display live have been in the U.S. on 4th July and seen it all on TV.......in addition to the fireworks there is a huge parade.

Also if your time allows there are lots of deals available for westbound transatlantic giving you 4 free days in NYC and then eastbound transatlantic home.............we did double transatlantic with just the day in NYC 2 years ago and it was wonderful.

Chris and Sheila

While our TA is still in the future, I might mention we found an obstructed balcony cabin actually cost less than an outside! :eek: I must have a window of some sort, so this was just right, and it's on the port side.

Hi, I noticed you mentioned having an obstructed balcony on the QM2....what exactly does that mean? Thanks for any clarification you can offer.

Hi, I noticed you mentioned having an obstructed balcony on the QM2....what exactly does that mean? Thanks for any clarification you can offer.

It means you have a lifeboat in front of your cabin......

Not as bad as you'd think though - in fact a good way to go if you're going to be staying in Britannia and aren't hoping to be upgraded to Club.

Matthew

It means you have a lifeboat in front of your cabin......

Not as bad as you'd think though - in fact a good way to go if you're going to be staying in Britannia and aren't hoping to be upgraded to Club.

Matthew

Thanks for the info...it was what I was expecting, but wanted to make sure. That helps with decision making processes. :)

Archived