Just back from Solstice

caanma

Just returned this morning (hit the bed at 2am) from round trip from Seattle on Solstice. This was my 3rd trip to Alaska and 25+ total cruises and the weather for all three Alaska trips has been completely different. Great trip with temperatures in Seattle in 80-90's, Victoria was in 70's with Sun but ... all other days temperatures in low 50's: cloudy but surprise no rain in Ketchikan, continuous rain in Juneau (sideways) but still able to get as close as possible to Tracy Arm in morning with minimal ice (although Captain Club watching from Heliopad cancelled) and great whale watching trip in afternoon, rain am Skagway then became beautiful. If it was not for the rainproof jacket and pants those days would have been miserable but I wish I had taken waterproof shoes (wet cold feet for hours not fun). Would have also taken waterproof gloves as my gloves became soaked during the hours on deck during the trip to the Glacier. Never any real waves but it was my sister's first cruise and I am glad that I prepared and took Scopolamine patch as she noticed any movement. I can not say enough about Bret Nixon's presentation, make sure to go. Sail away from Skagway is magnificent would book Tuscan Grill for dinner or delay dinner as to not miss spectacular scenery.

Would also recommend scheduling air tours or the White Horse Pass Train for afternoon times, as both in Ketchikan and Skagway it was much cloudier and rainy in am then afternoon, rain all day in Juneau. If you are in Ketchikan on Sunday and want to attend mass the local parish Holy Name runs a van shuttle service from the pier (called pier to pew) starting at 8:15 and running until 9:30 mass with return service to pier. Runs from the Port Security building on the dock (were all the vans for the many tours also leave from).

Great trip with temperatures in Seattle in 80-90's, Victoria was in 70's with Sun but ... all other days temperatures in low 50's: cloudy but surprise no rain in Ketchikan, continuous rain in Juneau (sideways) but still able to get as close as possible to Tracy Arm in morning with minimal ice (although Captain Club watching from Heliopad cancelled) and great whale watching trip in afternoon

That you for this update. I am sailing from Seattle in 2 weeks. I am curious when you say sailing Tracy's arm did you do a small boat tour or watch from ship? I have the small boat tour booked but I am considering canceling to do a whale watch tour and see Sawyer from the ship?

Where did you get your rain gear? 50's? Ughhh I was hoping for warmer weather. Headed out now to get some things for this trip. If you are online any tips would be greatly appreciated. What type of shoes would you have suggested?

Did not take small boat excursion at Tracy Arm, watched from ship. For shoes, should have sprayed the shoes I took with waterproofing spray or taken my hiking shoes. Rain coat (packable in own pocket) from North Face, have had rain pants for several years, go to your local sporting good store and look for water proof not just water resistant.