One way car rental to port of Manhattan then what?

Lisam81276

Booking a repositioning cruise out of NYC from Pittsburgh Pa and worried about traveling to NYC. We aren't concerned about staying in NYC we won't be sightseeing. We want the easiest way to get to the port. Can we drop off our rental at Newark airport and get a shuttle to port if we aren't flying in ? Should we stay a night or is it safe to drive on the middle of the night for like a 9am arrival ? I see there are many car rental stations in Manhattan but have been advised to stay out of the city. If we are driving one way just for purposes of getting to the port what is the best way ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Booking a repositioning cruise out of NYC from Pittsburgh Pa and worried about traveling to NYC. We aren't concerned about staying in NYC we won't be sightseeing. We want the easiest way to get to the port. Can we drop off our rental at Newark airport and get a shuttle to port if we aren't flying in ? Should we stay a night or is it safe to drive on the middle of the night for like a 9am arrival ? I see there are many car rental stations in Manhattan but have been advised to stay out of the city. If we are driving one way just for purposes of getting to the port what is the best way ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could you provide more details? Sailing Wed Nov 16? How many people? How much luggage? What route would you drive?

First I would contact the cruise line to see if you can book a shuttle from EWR to Manhattan Cruiseport. If that's a possibility, then I would drive in the day before, book an airport hotel, drop the car off and take the shuttle transportation.

Could you provide more details? Sailing Wed Nov 16? How many people? How much luggage? What route would you drive?

First I would contact the cruise line to see if you can book a shuttle from EWR to Manhattan Cruiseport. If that's a possibility, then I would drive in the day before, book an airport hotel, drop the car off and take the shuttle transportation.

Good advice.

I also want to add that the driving time is probably more than 6 hours and then add an extra hour for traffic into/in Manhattan.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Hertz have an office on 43rd St between 10th and 11th Avenues, which is about a ten-minute walk from the ship. If you come down the West Side Highway, there is an exit from the highway directly into the cruise terminal. Head for the drop-off zone, drop your luggage with the porters, then drive out and return the car. (You'll have very little Manhattan street driving.) Then walk back. (Assuming you've dropped off your luggage already, I'd recommend walking rather than taking a cab -- it's not far and you'll honestly be quicker walking.) You can enter the terminal at ground level on 12th Avenue at 48th Street and take an elevator up to check-in.

There may well be other options, but this is probably the most convenient.

If you're coming from Pittsburgh, I would strongly recommend not doing the whole drive on the morning of the cruise (hope that's obvious!). Drive the previous afternoon/evening, stay in the burbs in New Jersey the night before the cruise (if you choose, you could even stay as far away as Allentown, but I'd usually recommend getting a bit closer to New York), and then drive in after the morning rush has dissipated. If it's a 24-hour car rental you should manage to drop the car well before 24 hours are up.