First time on Star Clippers-Caribbean March 2015

Threedox

Hi all, we are going on the Windward Island trip, departing from Barbados on March 14, 2015. We have been on relatively small ships (Seabourn and Sea Dream) in the Mediterranean. The seas were calm, so no problem with seasickness. Not sure what to expect on the Royal Clipper in the Caribbean. Our cabin is Category 2, #264, Clipper deck, but I could not find it on the deck plan. Any guidance re this ship, cabin, itinerary, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Edited by Threedox
Typo

We are on the same itinerary (RC) two weeks before you. (We have also done that one before on the RC). Cabin 264 is on the Port side towards the stern and level with the front of the Purser's Office (but in a separate corridor).

The RC is a true sailing ship so there will be some movement - usually just modest at that time of the year in the Caribbean. There may be more movement on the last night on the way back from Martinique to Barbados. If that is the case suggest you use the leeboards in your bed (your cabin attendant will get them out for you) and then you can have a comfortable night.

To get you started:- Boarding usually starts at 4.00 p.m. and the compulsory lifeboat drill may be around 6.00 p.m. Dinner usually starts at 7.30 p.m. and I suggest you go in to dinner at around that time. Sailaway is usually at 10.00 p.m. so suggest you leave the dining room by about 9.45 p.m. and make your way up to the area by the open part of the bridge for sailaway. The crew will be raising the sails as the RC leaves the port - listen as well as watch!!! Wonderful. If you have some other questions I will try to provide some answers.

When the RC departs Barbados (usually 10.00 p.m.) it goes directly to St. Lucia (overnight - 100 miles or so). If you have not been to Barbados before then, maybe, have two or three days there, pre cruise, in a hotel - lots of them to choose from. (We are having a few days in Barbados before our cruise and a few days after for a bit more winter warmth - temperatures about 30 C. during the day)

The RC is likely to be scheduled to arrive back in Barbados at 7.00 a.m. In practice it is sometimes earlier than that but can be later in stronger winds (the Trade Winds). The ship needs some time to clear immigration and to get your bags off. All departing passengers are required to leave the ship by 10.00 a.m. (Getting off, apart from being a bit sad, is not a hassle on the Clippers). Arrival is a very busy time for the crew in seeing off the departing passengers and getting the ship ready for the next trip.

Over the years I have seen some of your fellow Americans with very tight timing between the ship arriving and same day flight departure - quite risky if the ship is a bit late getting in to Port.

• 2 weeks later...

It can be *very* rough sailing to & from Barbados because you are in open water. We usually have been cruising in January & it was rough enough to have people seasick.

I recommend something (pills, patch) for seasickness. Also, there is a bar you can raise so you don't fall out of bed as my DH did the last time we were aboard! Why they don't tell you about it is a mystery & we've been on 7 cruises with them, both in the Caribbean & the Med.

We haven't sailed on Royal Clipper but on the smaller Star Clipper out of Barbados, both in spring and in fall....not been rocky. But we do sail the tall ships lots, including some much smaller, and are comfortable with and expect some of the movement that goes with sailing ships, so maybe I'm not the best judge. Take some ginger tabs and maybe a patch, just in case it bothers you more than it does me.

You've gotten good info here already, but I'd like to to say welcome aboard, vicariously. Beautiful ships, excellent itineraties and food, great crew and fun passengers. In fact, you'll undoubtedly find that the passengers are mostly European. As Americans, my husband and I love the opportunity to get to know folks from other countries. On our cruises, they've hailed from Canada, Australia, Great Britain, France, Germany, US and more. Star Clippers ships offer a crew/passenger talent show one night in each cruise, which is such fun!

Enjoy!!

Edited by SailorJM