FLL or MIA Hotel????

RachelD

We (a family of 6) are sailing out of Miami on 4/19.....and still working on airfare....checking to see which is more economical.....FLL or MIA. (this part is totally driving me insane!!!!!!!! I usually love planning for cruises/vacations, but this airfare is too crazy......and not making it any fun at the moment!!!:o )

So far it looks like flying into FLL is the most economical for us.....my question is, if we fly into FLL, should we stay overnight in FLL and then take a cab into the POM the next day.......or stay in MIA, taking a cab to MIA and then a shuttle to the port?

Do any of you have any insights into what has worked for you or did not work for you? We need help!!!

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Hi RachelD,

Were having the same problem, I have a party of 4 flying into FLL on 2/10 and they are going to rent a car at the airport to drive to maimi, and I'm trying to find out if they can drop the car of in MIA the next morning before boarding. I'm hoping if they can drop it off at the airport and take the shuttle to the port.

lol I posted a similar question but about the return flight home(real early in the morning a day later postcruise).

Rachel-We are doing the same as you and ARE going to get a hotel in the Miami area. We may have to stay out near the MIA airport if we can not get a decently priced hotel in the Miami downtown area. Once we know the location of our precruise hotel, then we can either:rent a car from FLL and drop off in Miami if staying out near the airport so we can get into Miami and maybe do South Beach or Bayside, OR get a town car/limo ride right to our hotel in downtown Miami.

Good luck and have a great cruise.

Forgot to say I don't think it really matters which place. I like to be close to the Miami Port in case of any traffic tieups?? from FortL into Miami. I am a bit paranoid about traffic!

Also meant to EDIT(could not somehow) my post in saying: Good luck "in deciding which place to stay" and have a great cruise.

I got my cruise, I got my airfare...had to work all day today on figuring out transportation being we are flying in FLL and departing out of the port of miami. I didnt want to pay for a car all week but traveling with 5 people in my party can get pricey for private transportation and Im trying to cut corners at all costs. I booked my car today thru www.rentalcarmomma.com it links you to different car agencies. I will pick my car up in the airport FLL and use it for one day and return it to the Avis in Miami which is about a mile from the port and they suggested that hubby drop me and the kids with the luggage at the port and he take the car back and flag a taxi which should cost about $10 and head for the port...then when we return back we will get a taxi and go back and pick up a car for the day and drop it back at the airport in ft lauderdale...should run me less the $150.00 for 2 carseats, unlimited mileage, taxes etc...not bad for $75.00 each way for 5 people. Now Im on the search for a hotel either in Ft lauderdale or miami.....back to the drawing boards!

I got my cruise, I got my airfare...had to work all day today on figuring out transportation being we are flying in FLL and departing out of the port of miami. I didnt want to pay for a car all week but traveling with 5 people in my party can get pricey for private transportation and Im trying to cut corners at all costs. I booked my car today thru www.rentalcarmomma.com it links you to different car agencies. I will pick my car up in the airport FLL and use it for one day and return it to the Avis in Miami which is about a mile from the port and they suggested that hubby drop me and the kids with the luggage at the port and he take the car back and flag a taxi which should cost about $10 and head for the port...then when we return back we will get a taxi and go back and pick up a car for the day and drop it back at the airport in ft lauderdale...should run me less the $150.00 for 2 carseats, unlimited mileage, taxes etc...not bad for $75.00 each way for 5 people. Now Im on the search for a hotel either in Ft lauderdale or miami.....back to the drawing boards!

If you have a car, you will have a bit more leeway as to where you can stay since you won't need to rely on taxis or shuttles. We are driving in to FLL for our cruise out of POM and I found a nice Mom & Pop motel near the beach in FLL. It's called the Ocean Mile motor lodge and we got an effeciency for $95/night + tax. I also came across a few other small, but nice motels in the same area. If you do a google search for motels/hotel in Fort Lauderdale Beach, fl you should come up with several of these motels in the area. You can also check Tripadvisor for reviews on some of these smaller places as well. I went crazy looking for a nice, fairly inexpensive place in Miami, but no such place really exsists unless you want to stay at the "Fleabag Inn":rolleyes: . Hope this helps.

Happy Cruising :)

Barb

Thanks for the replies!

Well....we are still on the hunt for decent airfare.....we are going to give it a week and then just bite the bullet!:o

To be on the safe side, I have already reserved 2 hotels, both Hampton Inn and Suites (to accomodate all 6 of us in one room)....one in Miami and one in Fort Lauderdale. They can be cancelled without any fees (at least if we do it 24 hours prior to check in), so we at least wanted to lock something in before a) the prices sky rocket for rooms and b) the hotels start to fill up.

We figure that if we fly into MIA, then we can get a free shuttle to the MIA hotel and then pay $10pp to the port....if we fly into FLL, we will still get the free shuttle to the FLL hotel and then they would shuttle us to the POM for $90 total. So at least that is covered....now if we can just get a break on airfare!!!

I know that April is the crazy season and that 'deals' are not going to happen...but I would like to pay less than $550 per ticket if I can......if not, oh well....but a girl has to have hope and try!!:)

I am soooo not used to these prices....not to mention that I have never flown with connections!!! Never had an issue getting non-stops out of BOS to MIA for about $250...but that was also during the summer....not April vacation!!

This will be the last time we travel in April.

Archived