Help with underwater camera LCD screen

dronfield

Yes, camera is still under warranty. I've sent it back to Olympus to see if they could replicate problem and solve it but after MANY weeks they returned it saying no problem found. I've repeatedly asked if they tested camera in 5 feet saltwater but never a reply. I hate to send it back again because Olympus keeps camera for such a long time. When LCD screen goes dark I resurface and that seems to bring screen back on. Huge nuisance.

I'll be interested in your experience with the newer version.

Yes, camera is still under warranty. I've sent it back to Olympus to see if they could replicate problem and solve it but after MANY weeks they returned it saying no problem found. I've repeatedly asked if they tested camera in 5 feet saltwater but never a reply. I hate to send it back again because Olympus keeps camera for such a long time. When LCD screen goes dark I resurface and that seems to bring screen back on. Huge nuisance.

I'll be interested in your experience with the newer version.

That is odd. I would send it back and make it clear (in English and Japanese if you can get it translated) that they need to FIX the underwater issue or give you a replacement. It may be due to a sharp drop in tempt urges between and and water (?). The TG-3 uses a newer screen to LCD. What you have on the TG-2 is the older technology OLED.

I hope I have an early order number in at Amazon. Camera ships 6/6/14 but they are not sure how many they will get. If not here before the trip I could get the TG-2 on express ship. Likely the price will go down as now it is an 'older' camera.

Keep up the fight to get a better result from Olympus!

Yes, I'll keep bugging Olympus. I've also discovered a number of camera websites have comments about this same thing so I guess it is not just me.

Please let us know your experience with the new Olympus TG-3. Depending on my issues with the TG-2 I may be in the market for the TG-3.

Are you absolutely certain the camera is malfunctioning?

Because of water's refraction the screen is not visible from as wide an angle underwater as it is in air. When viewed from a shallow (relative) angle the screen appears blank. The screen must be more directly aimed at you for it to be visible underwater. Play with it by rotating or tipping the camera. There is a magic angle where you can't see the display. It's physics and not a malfunction of the camera.

There are also settings in the menu that control when the display is active. If "rec view" is set to off the screen will not display your just taken photo. The "info off" feature can be set so the indicators turn off after 10 seconds. The "power save" feature also turns off the screen if no buttons are pressed for 10 seconds.

PS: Your get a gold star if you can get the depth warning screen to appear when free diving or snorkeling. :D

Thank you for this information. The suggestion of changing the angle of the screen underwater is helpful. The blank screen only happens underwater. I need to pay more attention if it happens consistently at a certain depth.

• 2 weeks later...

Camera now refuses to turn off when turned on. Local Olympus dealers not able to fix. Olympus customer service advice was to "reset" camera in menu. Did not work, camera still on. Second suggestion was to leave batteries out for 24 hours and re-install. Still does not work. Olympus says camera defective, return to seller as still under warranty. So camera I had for two weeks being returned.

While Olympus customer service very responsive in trying to fix problem, Olympus quality control not so much.