Le Soleal

tgh

Anyone here been on board ?

No, but she was docked next to her identical sister ship Le Boreal when I arrived on Le Boreal in Reykjavik a couple of weeks ago. The (three) ships are the same, only the colour scheme on Le Soleal is different.

I was on an A&K charter of Le Boreal. International team of naturalists (some of whom I had been to Antarctica/South Georgia with), but otherwise French officers and chefs, and Philippino/Russian crew.

The Ponant ships are very French - the entertainment is to French tastes, but otherwise the ships are beautiful and luxurious. Le Boreal was the fastest and most stable small ship that I've been on.

That said, I wish I had done the Arctic with Lindblad - I just found the approach to expeditions too 'soft' on Le Boreal, and Lindblad appear to have done a much better job with their Iceland itinerary.

You can read more in my blog (link in my signature). I don't review the ship per se, but I do review the itinerary!

Cheers

We sailed to the Antarctic on L'Austral in December 2011. It was an excellent cruise and, as noted above, the feel is very French. The vast majority of passengers were French, but there were also US (independent - like us - and a Tauck group), Hong Kong, South African, Australian, and other European passengers. We enjoyed the experience and the trip - and would certainly sail with them again.

Take a look at the member reviews to get a feel. You'll find mine there.

Archived