Maya Chan- couple area vs palapas

dreamingmermaid

Does anyone who has been to Maya Chan have any experience with the differences between having the group palapas versus just 2 people sharing an umbrella? It looks like the singles/couples only get a flimsy umbrella where as the groups have a whole area with bed, loungers, hammocks, etc and it is the same price (or cheaper). Do the groups get more attention such as quicker and more attentive service and first choice with the floating loungers?

Is it worth trying to meet up with a group through rollcall or can you get a nice shady place with access to a hammock and nap place without having a palapa?

we have been there twice, with our third trip coming next month. The umbrella'd areas for couples or singles are actually really nice- many of the umbrellas are thatched roof things with nice loungers (I don't recall there being "flimsy" umbrellas there. Also the location of these is a little better in most cases than the palapas... because they are often a little "in front" of the larger palapas. We've always had the palapa (we are a family of 4) but I didn't think it looked like the others were getting any less... certainly NOT in treatment, but also in terms of overall experience either. The whole thing is very nice, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...