Arbua on a Sunday

PotatoBug

We'll be in Aruba on a Sunday (Nov 23) with a cruise and I'm noticing a few private excursion companies that don't operate on weekends. How wide spread am I going to find that to be?

We originally thought we'd just hop a bus for Arashi Beach, but with the reduced schedule on Sunday I'm less certain about that. It doesn't help that the 2 sites I've checked for the bus schedules (visit aruba dot com and aruba bus dot com) list different schedules.

We'd like to do some snorkelling and laying on the beach, but a boat/snorkel tour would be nice too but I'm not keen on a boat full of drunk snorkellers.

Suggestions?

The public bus to Arashi on a Sunday will be fine. There are just less buses running on Sundays. You WILL get there. Plan on an hour to get there.

Walk from the cruise terminal to the bus station. You'll ride the L10. When you get off the bus at Arashi ask the driver what times the bus will return. Again, about every hour.

An option would be to do a private charter such as Strea Charters. Perhaps you can ask on your Roll Call if there are fellow cruisers who would like to participate with you.

Thank you Arubalisa. We took the bus to Marmok 5 years ago ... or that's where we thought the driver left us. There was no beach in site, just hardened coral with a 1 metre drop to the water. We walked and walked and ended up, I think, at Boca Catalina.

Would you trust the schedules on arubus dot com over those on visitaaruba dot com?

My wife, now remembering our previous experience is lobbying for staying closer to "civilization". Unfortunately, our roll call is not very active but I'll see if anyone want to go together on one of the private boat tours.

Thanks for the advice.

I would go with the bus company's schedule.

It is unfortunate that the amount of sand at Malmok is at the whim of mother nature. This was taken a few years ago. I didn't get there in June, but in December there was no sand at all, only rocks. :(

malmokf_sm.jpg

I have posted a bit more info on snorkeling from shore in that area, including photos at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42184973&postcount=9

Thank you for the info, Lisa, and link to the thread with the pictures.

I've noticed in other threads that, of the larger sail&snorkel outfits, you recommend Jolly Pirates over Red Sail. I was just wondering why. If the cruise line uses them does that mean we can't book privately through them?

Thanks again!

The "big boys" like Red Sail and De Palm do fine all on their own. ;) If someone specifies they require a catamaran, I do not hesitate to recommend them.

Our family as well as the family we were traveling with all enjoyed Jolly Pirates because it was different. They are also a "mom and pop operation". Granted we did the Sail, Snorkel, Swim & Swing which included lunch. But besides the Swing the "Pirates" crew interacted with the kids (ours were young teens at the time) and made the trip fun without drunken shenanigans. ;)

Some of the excursions in Aruba will allow you to book independently of the ship and some will not. I may be good, but not "that" good. I do not like to offer information unless I know it for "a fact". ;) Honestly at this exact point in time I cannot tell who does and who does not allow private bookings. It has changed too frequently for me to try to keep track of. :(

After more research here and on tripadvisor I contacted Roberto's, but they're not open on weekends. They pointed me to Delphi Watersports but there's not much about them on this site.

I'm probably WAY overthinking this :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...