Mendenhall Glacier: Guide's Choice Trail vs HikeFloat Trip

renaroo

We will be on our first Alaskan cruise in June 2015 and traveling with Celebrity. My husband has talked about seeing a glacier for years. Can anyone offer any advice on these two options offered through Celebrity (or any other option)? Since not everyone is familiar with the Celebrity tours, I’m including the description in case you've been on a similar one.

I'm looking at: Guide's Choice Trail Hike vs Glacier Float Trip

Trail Hike:

Get ready for an adventure of a lifetime. Follow a secluded trail on a 3.5 hour hike that takes you high above the Mendenhall Glacier. Depending on the days hiking conditions, your guide will choose the best trail for you to explore. Capture photos of the spectacular views along the way and watch for wildlife as you venture through the glacier carved wilderness. Discover Alaska’s ever changing scenery on this unforgettable hiking adventure.

The hike come with a warning of “strenuous activity level” with "rocks, roots, slippery in places, lots of elevation changes..." It sounds a little tough, especially if it's fast-paced, but I think we're up to the task. By day 5 of the cruise (the day this tour is offered) we may be grateful for a strenuous hike!

Glacier Float:

River rafting, icebergs and a snack! Your experienced guide will steer you across the serene waters of Mendenhall Lake, past floating icebergs to the Mendenhall River. Here you'll float a 5-mile section of a glacial stream which includes short stretches of mild to moderate rapids. Enjoy spectacular views of the Mendenhall Glacier and soak in the amazing scenery. Learn about the history of the river and lookout for wildlife.

Which experience gives us the most in terms of sight-seeing?

I know this is a very specific question and am hoping someone out there has some experience and can help, even if it's pointing out a link to another post that I've missed. :)

The trail at Mendenhall likely is the East Loop trail. This does NOT have a lot of glacier view, it's mostly wooded. This is well marked and easy to go on your own FREE. I find no benefit to having a "guide", stop in the visitor center and read/look through their exhibits. $3 admission. :) There is a trail guide and map on the Tongass Mendenhall glacier web site

I never recommend the float trip. You get only a brief distant view of Mendenhall, which will then be at your back, as you go by trees and back years. With this trip over $100, in my opinion, money is far better spent elsewhere. Way superior is rafting the Nenana near Denali.

With your "glacier" mention I will suggest you take a look at a kayak rental on Mendenhall Lake which is a very nice scenic viewing opportunity. Above and Beyond is the rental vendor.