Harrison Cave and the beach

rjack22

Had a wonderful time in Barbados last week. We put together our own tour. One of the ladies on our roll call put this together. She prearranged for a taxi to take us from the port to Harrison Caves. She also booked us on the very first tour of the morning in the caves which was at 9:00. Cost was $31 pp for the caves and the taxi cost us $10 each (there were six of us). Our taxi driver waited for us while we toured the caves and then drove us to The Boatyard.

Harrison Caves are beautiful! You ride a tram down into the cave and the formations and streams were gorgeous. Since we were on the first cave tour we beat the cruise tour buses which was very nice. Being on the first tour also gave us more time at The Boatyard. We were told that Harrison Caves was the number one tourist attraction on Barbados.

As promised the driver waited for us at the caves and then took us to The Boatyard. It was about 10:30 when we arrived. We were told that the umbrellas were all gone but that there were chairs available in the shade. We decided to do it and paid $15 pp to get in. For that fee you get (if available) one umbrella, two chairs, a free drink, and taxi back to the ship. There is a long pier here and the "shade" turned out to be underneath this pier. We were getting set up when we noticed two unused umbrellas right next to us (the umbrellas were still closed up). We asked if they were available and were told yes so we took them. Folks coming after us did get the shade underneath the pier.

My husband and I did pay the $20 pp to take a boat our to snorkel with the turtles. We saw lots of turtles and it was worth it.

All in all a great day in Barbados.

Thanks for the review. My family is going next January and considering a Harrison's Cave excursion. It is quite pricey though ($75 per adult, $39 per child so $228 for the family). I may look into arranging it myself.

Edited by croozymooner

"Thanks for the review. My family is going next January and considering a Harrison's Cave excursion. It is quite pricey though ($75 per adult, $39 per child so $228 for the family). I may look into arranging it myself. "

Actually, the last time that I checked it was US$30.30 for visiting adults and US$15.15 for visiting children.

You may have been looking at BD$ which are twice that of US$.

Enjoy! :)

Had a wonderful time in Barbados last week. We put together our own tour. One of the ladies on our roll call put this together. She prearranged for a taxi to take us from the port to Harrison Caves. She also booked us on the very first tour of the morning in the caves which was at 9:00. Cost was $31 pp for the caves and the taxi cost us $10 each (there were six of us). Our taxi driver waited for us while we toured the caves and then drove us to The Boatyard.

Harrison Caves are beautiful! You ride a tram down into the cave and the formations and streams were gorgeous. Since we were on the first cave tour we beat the cruise tour buses which was very nice. Being on the first tour also gave us more time at The Boatyard. We were told that Harrison Caves was the number one tourist attraction on Barbados.

As promised the driver waited for us at the caves and then took us to The Boatyard. It was about 10:30 when we arrived. We were told that the umbrellas were all gone but that there were chairs available in the shade. We decided to do it and paid $15 pp to get in. For that fee you get (if available) one umbrella, two chairs, a free drink, and taxi back to the ship. There is a long pier here and the "shade" turned out to be underneath this pier. We were getting set up when we noticed two unused umbrellas right next to us (the umbrellas were still closed up). We asked if they were available and were told yes so we took them. Folks coming after us did get the shade underneath the pier.

My husband and I did pay the $20 pp to take a boat our to snorkel with the turtles. We saw lots of turtles and it was worth it.

All in all a great day in Barbados.

Glad you had a great time. I also think the caves are truly amazing:).

We also went to Harrison's Caves on our own.(Sunday 2/22/2015) We had originally planned to do a ship excursion using some of our OBC but at a price of $89 pp we decided that was way too expensive. Dispatchers for cabs are available on the pier and we were able to share a cab with another couple for $25 pp roundtrip. We didn't get off the ship until 9:30 and got to the caves about the same time as the cruiseship tours so we had to wait about 45 minutes. Our driver waited for us. I would suggest trying to get to the caves as soon as they open to avoid the wait time. (Getting off by 8:30 would be a good time) We really enjoyed seeing the caves and felt the price was worth it. ($60, entrance fee, taxi and tip). If you had more people for the taxi I think the per person price would be cheaper. We were uncertain how easy it would be to get a cab, at a reasonable price ,but found it very easy.