Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Caribbean > Costa Rica

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old June 8th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Need info on Carnival's Adventure Canals, Rainforest, and Banana Plantation tour

I haven't seen any reviews of this on here, and there is not a review on the carnival site, either. I would like to do the canals, as I hear they are a highlight not to be missed, and I think the banana plantation sounds interesting, too. I usually do like to go on non-Carnival sponsored tours, but I could not find one that had both the canals and the plantation. Or, it seemed like a shorter time on the canals.

I'm sure there is something cheaper, releiable, safe, and all-around better out there, but I am just not finding it. And we want to go ahead and have something booked. So, does anyone have any reviews of this tour or other recommendations?
(Oh, there are 2 of us, DH and self, 40s, love animals so definitely want to see some)
Thanks--
2009 Fantasy--Mobile
2010 Fantasy--Charleston
7/2/2011 Freedom

Last edited by rkmom; June 8th, 2011 at 08:05 PM.

Old August 24th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmom View Post
I haven't seen any reviews of this on here, and there is not a review on the carnival site, either. I would like to do the canals, as I hear they are a highlight not to be missed, and I think the banana plantation sounds interesting, too. I usually do like to go on non-Carnival sponsored tours, but I could not find one that had both the canals and the plantation. Or, it seemed like a shorter time on the canals.

I'm sure there is something cheaper, releiable, safe, and all-around better out there, but I am just not finding it. And we want to go ahead and have something booked. So, does anyone have any reviews of this tour or other recommendations?
(Oh, there are 2 of us, DH and self, 40s, love animals so definitely want to see some)
Thanks--
I know my response is late, but I have not been looking on here lately. Anyway, last September, I took a Carnival tour, and I forget what it was called, but it started with a boat ride on the Tortuguera canal, that lasted about 30 or 40 mins or so. then a short walk through a rain forest, and to a wildlife reserve ( sloths, monkeys, toucans, and turtles and racoons) a snack of papaya and pineapple and fruit juice, then back on the bus to the banana plantation, and after a brief lecture from our tour guide on how the bananas are grown and transported thoughout the world, we got to see the processing plant, where they are cut from the vine, and washed and packaged. The tour was ok, and I dont regret it, as I travelled alone, and wanted to stick with Carnival tours. But from what I have read on this site there are some better tours for less cost. Hope this helps and is not too late.

P.S, if you do this tour, dont pester the tour guide at the animal reserve to hold the baby monkey! That little monkey was smaller than my 3lb chihuahua, but a member of our tour pestered the tour guide to hold the baby monkey, and when she finally got her way, that little 2lb or so baby peed her body weight on the woman! The lady was soaked and had to board our tour bus shortly after. You could tell the monkey was not happy, so just look, enjoy, but dont get peed on!

Last edited by SMSACE6; August 24th, 2011 at 08:40 PM.

Old August 25th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky8 View Post
...that little 2lb or so baby peed her body weight on the woman! ...
Too funny! I'm glad to see karma was at work that day.

Old August 25th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

That is exactly what I was thinking!