Bar Harbor - Bar Island Trail

TomAndJane

I am sure this has been asked before but I can not find any information. In Bar Harbor during Low Tide, a natural land bridge is formed and you can walk over to Bar Island on the Bar Island Trail. Low tide the day we will be there is at 11:58 a.m. My question is 'When will the land bridge first become available to walk on?". I am sure it will be a couple of hours before actual low tide but I am not certain. The more important question is the next High Tide is at 6:00 p.m. so when will the land bridge disappear?

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Tom

You should get local information when you get there. Tides are not always the same, due to moon phases etc. But in general, for planning purposes, you can walk across from about an hour and fifteen minutes before low tide to about an hour and fifteen minutes after low tide. Do not delay getting back to the "mainland" (which is also an island; Mount Desert Island).

I am sure this has been asked before but I can not find any information. In Bar Harbor during Low Tide, a natural land bridge is formed and you can walk over to Bar Island on the Bar Island Trail. Low tide the day we will be there is at 11:58 a.m. My question is 'When will the land bridge first become available to walk on?". I am sure it will be a couple of hours before actual low tide but I am not certain. The more important question is the next High Tide is at 6:00 p.m. so when will the land bridge disappear?

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Tom

Hi Tom

I don't really know if this counts as 'help', but the very end of the video shows people walking over to Bar Island. That was (from memory) around 40 minutes from low tide. As it's so close to where you will be tendered to it will be very easy for you to have a look or ask someone exactly when will be walkable. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]ohoSzar_dyY[/YOUTUBE]

From Acadia Magic . com:

"Before going, check for the local times of low tide and allow yourself enough time so that you will not get stuck on the island. Plan on having no more than a maximum of 1.5 hours before and after the low tide. Be sure to take a watch, cell phone, and wear hiking shoes or boots as it can be wet."

I've taken my 2 wheel drive car half way over and walked on Bar Island. The trail was over grown, and could not see much. I was not impressed. YMMV

SBtS