Embera Wood Carvings

sjmbruce

I know there are a few people on this board that are frequent visitors to Panama and even Embera villages. On a Panama Canal cruise in December of 2012, my husband and I went on the full day trip to meet the Embera people in their village. Due to financial constraints, we didn't buy a wood carving. I did purchase a few jewelry items, but have regretted not buying a wood carving ever since then. I've looked online and it seems like there a few groups helping indigenous people of Panama sell their work online, but none are from the village we visited.

Any thoughts on how I could go about contacting someone to see if we could work something out? The best outcome would be that I could purchase a carving and have it shipped to the U.S., paying with a credit card, cash, check - anything that wouldn't be inconvenient for them.

Thanks!

I know there are a few people on this board that are frequent visitors to Panama and even Embera villages. On a Panama Canal cruise in December of 2012, my husband and I went on the full day trip to meet the Embera people in their village. Due to financial constraints, we didn't buy a wood carving. I did purchase a few jewelry items, but have regretted not buying a wood carving ever since then. I've looked online and it seems like there a few groups helping indigenous people of Panama sell their work online, but none are from the village we visited.

Any thoughts on how I could go about contacting someone to see if we could work something out? The best outcome would be that I could purchase a carving and have it shipped to the U.S., paying with a credit card, cash, check - anything that wouldn't be inconvenient for them.

I'd suggest contacting Anne Gordon [emberavillagetours.com] and asking her. At one time I thought she, or someone she knew, was trying to sell Embera crafts from Embera Puru online. It's tough because every piece is unique. Panart.com also has some things, but I haven't seen wood carvings. Regards, Richard

I'd suggest contacting Anne Gordon [emberavillagetours.com] and asking her. At one time I thought she, or someone she knew, was trying to sell Embera crafts from Embera Puru online. It's tough because every piece is unique. Panart.com also has some things, but I haven't seen wood carvings. Regards, Richard

Thank you! I will send her an email.

Can the objects made in the villages be hand carried back to the states, thru customs ?

Of course! Or wrap them up in your dirty clothes in checked luggage. No problem. Unlike Brazil, which has restrictions on some wood products, Panama does not. Carvings are made in cocobolo a very hard wood, so no insect problems. The "vegetable ivory" carvings are from tagua nut, which is a palm tree fruit. Just has the "ivory" designation because it is very hard when it dries and way back, tagua buttons became a substitute for ivory buttons, then along came plastic. Now, some of the high end clothing lines, like Banana Republic, are using tagua nut buttons that are made here in Panama.

Regards, Richard

Of course! Or wrap them up in your dirty clothes in checked luggage. No problem. Unlike Brazil, which has restrictions on some wood products, Panama does not. Carvings are made in cocobolo a very hard wood, so no insect problems. The "vegetable ivory" carvings are from tagua nut, which is a palm tree fruit. Just has the "ivory" designation because it is very hard when it dries and way back, tagua buttons became a substitute for ivory buttons, then along came plastic. Now, some of the high end clothing lines, like Banana Republic, are using tagua nut buttons that are made here in Panama.

Regards, Richard

Thanks for this info,

ron