Gatun Locks compared to Miraflores Locks

DanielBu

Hi,

how do the Gatun Locks compare to the Miraflores Locks if you are not really interested in the visitor center?

Is it worth going to Miraflores (for other reasons) or should I stay on board of the cruiseship because they are not that different from the Gatun ones?

Daniel

Belrin/Germany

Miraflores Locks has two steps compared to the three steps of Gatun Locks with Gatun being the biggest of all the locks on the Canal. The nice thing about the Visitor's Center at Miraflores is that it has a lot of displays to include audio/ visual presentations that would give you a more in depth overview of the Canal.

You would get to see some of Panama as an added bonus. After you lock through Gatun Locks the ship will tender off all the passengers who have tours and then proceed back through Gatun Locks and dock in Colon. In other words you are retracing a lot of already covered ground. While no doubt the trip back through Gatun Locks is interesting, there is a lot of Panama and Canal yet to see:).

[The nice thing about the Visitor's Center at Miraflores is that it has a lot of displays to include audio/ visual presentations that would give you a more in depth overview of the Canal.

You would get to see some of Panama as an added bonus.]

Thx. for your reply.

I didnt know that they were going to Panama City after the Miraflores Locks. Or do you mean that you can see it from there in the distance? Or do you mean the country in all?

Also I read that people are being rushed through the visitor center. I therefore really would prefer to stay on the outside (to see as much of what is going on on the canal) as possible.

Various tours include Panama City, some do not, it would really depend on which tour you select as to what is actually included. I primarily meant you would see some of the country side regardless of what tour you selected.

I'm not sure how much time they allow at the stop at Miraflores, but things happen gradually with ships and you may be able to select a period of time that you would not be missing anything important by taking in what the visitor's center has to see.

Depending on how you are taken to Miraflores Locks you may be able to see some of Panama City's skyline.

It seems confusing. There is the bus, the regular train, and the dome car train to go to Miraflores. There is quite a big difference in the prices between them but they all go the same place and seem to get there at the same time. I thought I would like the dome rail car, but then read that there is not much to see except the jungle on the trip. Am now re thinking about just taking the bus. Has anyone done all three to compare?

It seems confusing. There is the bus, the regular train, and the dome car train to go to Miraflores. There is quite a big difference in the prices between them but they all go the same place and seem to get there at the same time. I thought I would like the dome rail car, but then read that there is not much to see except the jungle on the trip. Am now re thinking about just taking the bus. Has anyone done all three to compare?

As far as the train goes, the only difference between the dome car and the regular coach is where you sit and the price. Most of the time the train excursion will operate in this manner... board the train on the Atlantic side, travel to Pacific side, bus to Miraflores Locks and bus back to the Atlantic side to rejoin the ship. Depending on a number of things the excursion can operate in a different sequence.

For the bus to Miraflores, normally the trip to the Locks will involve going into Panama City stopping at places like Panama Viejo or Casco Antiguo and then on to the Locks showcasing the more scenic areas. After your visit to the Locks, then back to the Atlantic side. Part of the trip is usually an alternate route so that you are not repeating the entire trip across the Isthmus on the same exact road.

Keep in mind the above is just a broad overview of the excursions... the different cruise lines/tour operators may adjust the excursions some to suit the situation.