Critque St Maarten plan/advise please

disgal

Hello. I'd like to see if this plan is doable. My family consists of hubby, me, 21girl, 18girl and 14 boy. We've been to this island before but just did some shopping and sat by the beach nearby because the boys weren't interested in going so it was just the girls. This time I have convinced the guys to go with us so we might do some light shopping but not a lot.

We will be with Explorer docked Monday, Aug 4th from 1pm to 8pm. Oh, and I checked a couple sites and is it really possible that Explorer is the only ship in port that day? How can that be? I must be missing something.

Ok, I thought we would get off the ship and look for a taxi to take us to where the planes take off. What do I ask the cabby? Just say Maho beach where the planes take off? lol I'm thinking we might get there about 1:45? We will probably stay for about 45min-hour. Is that enough time? Not really interested in getting something to eat or anything so don't need Sunset Bar.

Then I thought we would taxi it back to Phillipsburg and walk along some of the streets for shopping. Eventually maybe stop in to a place like Lazy Lizard. Wanted to maybe just get a few bites, like to try the Johnycakes, voodoo shrimp,get a cool drink. Is this a good option you think? Not really wanting a whole meal. I think hubby will want to be back to the ship for our dinner at 8pm so maybe head back to the ship at 6:30?

Not sure how long the above plan will take us because of traffic back from Maho. I'm sure it helps if there is only our ship in port.

If we have an hour to kill after doing the above, do you think we should taxi it to Orient beach just for a photo run? We are doing 2 other beach trips on this cruise so they are not interested in sitting on more beaches. I know, they are crazy. But I'm just thankful they are joining us this time.

Tell me what you think?

ETA: I forgot to ask about cost of taxi to Maho. I think I read for 5 people to expect $9 a person? Is that correct?

Edited by disgal

You are correct and your ship is the only one in port for St. Maarten plus all of your other ports, your the only ship in port, lucky you. That's happened to us quite a few times of being the only ship in port, love it :)

There are plenty of taxis in back of the information booth and just tell the driver you want to go to Maho Beach. The taxis will try to fill up with additional people and the cost will be from $7-$ 9pp each way. It takes anywhere from 25-35 mins to get to Maho. When we arrive at 1pm, we're usually at Maho around 1:50 pm. Try to stay for at least an hour to see the planes come in and take off. The plane schedule will be listed on a surf board near the bar. It is quite a sight to see the planes and the guys are going to enjoy it.

Sure you can do Orient after that, just ask the driver what the cost will be as you go over to Maho. He may even wait for you at Maho to take you to Orient Beach. Maybe you can work out a deal with him. I believe the cost from Maho to Orient may be around $30 total, then you'll have another total cost of about $25-$30 from Orient back to Philipsburg.

If hubby wants to eat at 8 pm and you want to do some shopping and eating, I would forget Orient. You can't do it all within that time frame unless you give up shopping and eat at Orient or just go back to Philipsburg to do your light shopping and eating after Maho Beach. You know light shopping will still take some time :)

Enjoy your day in St. Maarten!

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

THank you SO much! Well, I think we might give up Orient beach. We are hitting other beaches this trip and although I'm sure Orient beach is beautiful we will be seeing beaches like Horseshoe Bay in Bermuda and RC's island in Haiti. And maybe we can make that the next trip. (there's thinking positively, right? lol)

and I can't believe we are the only ship for 4 ports!!!! Wooooot!!! :D

THank you SO much! Well, I think we might give up Orient beach. We are hitting other beaches this trip and although I'm sure Orient beach is beautiful we will be seeing beaches like Horseshoe Bay in Bermuda and RC's island in Haiti. And maybe we can make that the next trip. (there's thinking positively, right? lol)

and I can't believe we are the only ship for 4 ports!!!! Wooooot!!! :D

The shops in Philipsburg close at 6 so keep that in mind during this planning stage.