St Barths

st barts: its a tender port, the official currency is euros but they accept us dollars, its not a cheap island, popular with yachters, nearest beach is shell beach which is about a 15min walk, lots of shops and restaurants near the tender port and a small museum, you can walk up the hill to the old fort for some stunning views of the harbour and across the island, we saw whales when we were there

it’s a pleasant little town to walk around or have a coffee….especially if you like yachts

taxis are available at the tender area who will take you on an island tour but I wouldnt expect that to be particularly cheap

St Barts is an interesting island. It is officially part of France and it certainly feels like it when you are there. The population is very small, about 6,000 I think, and if it wasn't for the pelicans diving into the harbour you might think that you were on the Cote d'Azur. There is much poverty on some Carribean islands on a level that we never see in Europe but that is not true of St Barts. This place just doesn't have poor people. A word of warning about prices though, I found that they were exagerated with stories of E20 for a beer. We found a waterfront cafe that sold reasonably priced food and champagne at E12 per glass. The small beach, which is within walking distance of the dockside, is made of the shells of crustacians and is therefore pink which makes it very picturesque although somewhat less comfortable than a sand beach.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for the info, it sounds lovely and I think we will be visiting shell beach!

Hi Lexie, just to clarify, shell beach is made up entirely of shells, no sand just shells. If I was going back to St Barths, I would look for a sandy beach to visit.

Terry

st jeans beach is a golden sand beach but that will be a taxi ride away, we didnt go so I cant tell you how much that would cost?

here's some pics

views from the steps up to the viewpoint of gustavia harbour and the ship anchored

roofs.jpg

[/url]

shipmored.jpg

view of shell beach from the top

shell.jpg