Priceline= Ripoff!

dclark

I have used PL in the past with success for airfare, but they have gotten so bad that to get a bid accepted, you have to PAY MORE than it would cost to book directly through an airline!!!

I tried bidding for travel to New Orleans for end of Dec. I bid $300 (including tax). I got a counter offer saying that if I paid $366, I could get the tickets. Here's the kicker- booking through American Airlines, I can get those tickets for $330 and still get the flyer miles! Plus, I know upfront the times.

PL is not like it used to be...

PL is not like it used to be...
Actually, the whole Priceline bidding model seems to be breaking down a bit, even for hotels (for which it was IMHO the only decent value - I personally would never accept the restrictions imposed by Priceline for flights). You can see this from the fact that Priceline is pushing its non-bidding operation harder than the bidding operation. Sometimes it's hard even to find the links to the bidding side of the site.

Actually, the whole Priceline bidding model seems to be breaking down a bit, even for hotels (for which it was IMHO the only decent value - I personally would never accept the restrictions imposed by Priceline for flights). You can see this from the fact that Priceline is pushing its non-bidding operation harder than the bidding operation. Sometimes it's hard even to find the links to the bidding side of the site.

I whole heartedly agree with this statement. Only tried Priceline one time for flights (6 year ago) and it was a total disaster (took my employee 2 days to get from Phoenix to Kansas City and his flights were via Charleston, SC. with an overnight in Wilmington, Delaware???). Never again for flights.

But I have personally used Priceline for hotels and rental cars for years.

I have a mandatory business trip to NYC monthly. It was always fun to use Priceline for hotels. A different hotel almost every trip-such fun to be able to try all the dfferent 5* and 4* hotels at reasonable prices. The prices were generally in the $75-110 range, MUCH cheaper than any other booking agency or direct with the hotel.

In the last year or so (since they started the fixed pricing for flights, hotels and cars) the bid prices for hotels and cars are as high if not higher than booking through Travelocity, Expedia, or directly through the hotel or car agency websites. I don't even try to use Priceline anymore.

They established their business model years ago-now they think they can SCAM the public with their fixed price model. It's very sad-the public is gullible and getting ripped off-go to Priceline, get a bargain??? There are no bargains anymore on Priceline. Their new "fixed price" format doesn't even compete with other booking engines. The "bid" hotel and car prices are no lower than their "fixed price" format. Very sad.

Archived