Driving to Boston

Possibility of taking a cruise from Boston. We do not need a pre-cruise hotel as we have been to Boston many times.

Would probably stay south of Boston, even as far south as Mystic.

How much time is reasonable to allow for day of cruise drive to Boston?

Thanks

Possibility of taking a cruise from Boston. We do not need a pre-cruise hotel as we have been to Boston many times.

Would probably stay south of Boston, even as far south as Mystic.

How much time is reasonable to allow for day of cruise drive to Boston?

Thanks

What day of the week does the cruise leave?

It's only about 2 hours from the Mystic area to Boston and there are multiple route options to avoid any traffic issues.

138east--thank you for response.

The itinerary has not been released as yet but I am an over-planner. This info would be helpful in deciding if it is a viable option.

I would assume work days would be the most traffic, Weekends would probably be less traffic and maybe holidays??

If we did stay in Mystic, we would probably leave about 8am to get to the Boston pier in plenty of time.

Just doing my research.

I wouldn't leave until 8:30. There are 3 basic routes.

1) I95 to I93 to Black Falcon - this is the route that has the most weekday congestion.

2) I95 to I90 east (mass pike) to Black Falcon

3) I395 to I90 east(mass pike) to Black Falcon - this could be the easiest route on a weekday morning, particularly if you leave at 8 am

Personally I think #3 could be best for an out of towner if I90 is OK. It's more mileage but could actually end up being less time.

Once rush hour is over...say anytime after 9:30 the I95 to I93 route should be OK during the weekday. I drive to the airport from south of the city and unless there is an accident the traffic on the southeast expressway (I93) moves reasonably well.

You'll get off at the Convention Center exit.

When you get closer to the city listen to WBZ (1030 AM) they do a traffic report "on the 3's" (e.g. :03, :13, etc.) and you can decide if the expressway is OK or not.

If you stay in Mystic and are looking for a place to dine, I can recommend the Steak Loft. I love their salad bar but don't fill up too much since the steak is very nice.

Once rush hour is over...say anytime after 9:30 the I95 to I93 route should be OK during the weekday. I drive to the airport from south of the city and unless there is an accident the traffic on the southeast expressway (I93) moves reasonably well.

You'll get off at the Convention Center exit.

When you get closer to the city listen to WBZ (1030 AM) they do a traffic report "on the 3's" (e.g. :03, :13, etc.) and you can decide if the expressway is OK or not.

If you stay in Mystic and are looking for a place to dine, I can recommend the Steak Loft. I love their salad bar but don't fill up too much since the steak is very nice.

Thanks for the info regarding traffic and I appreciate the suggestion for dinner in Mystic. We ate in a steak place the last time we were there. I wonder if it is the same one. I will check it out.