Juneau excursion did I pick the wrong one?

aloanldy

I am going to Alaska in July on a Cruisetour thru Celebrity. I booked the Mendenhall Glacier Float Trip.

Is this a good excursion or did I book the wrong one?

I also have a Glacier discovery by helicopter, the Bering Sea crab fishermans tour, & A Whale and Marine Mammal cruise booked for the other stops on the cruise.

I've never been to Alaska and I want to see it all, in the event I never get to come back.

Thank you,

charlie

Having done the Mendenhall float tour, I never recommend it. You have only a brief distant view of Mendenhall, rest of trip is trees and back yards. There is far superior float trips elsewhere with the Taiya out of Skagway being one of them

Instead consider looking at these tours which are way superior. http://beyondak.com/glacier-trips/

Another important consideration you may want to verify is to have the Tundra Wilderness tour included at Denali Park and not the worthless Natural History tour. :)

I agree about the float trip, back when we took it they marketed it as a whitewater trip and that was REALLY disappointing! Not nearly what anyone of us expected even if it had been marketed as a float trip. It was just OK. And yes, the Tundra Wilderness is longer in Denali but is much better, in my opinion.

Thank you. I cancelled the float trip, and I booked the Mendenhall Glacier by helicopter for Juneau. I had the helicopter booked in Skagway. I changed that to the train ride to the summit.

Charlie

We used Temsco. We did land on Mendenhall and spent about 1 hour walking around. It was incredible I won't lie, it cost over $300 pp we scheduled it on the Millennium the day before , when we knew the weather would be good

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Amishcountry-- which helicopter tour in Juneau? Did you land on a glacier? Thur cruise line? How much?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are 4 helicopter vendors in Juneau, I have flown with 3 of them. The 4th runs glacier trekking tours.

You may want to look at booking direct for savings. TEMSCO and ERA are ship contractors, Coastal is not. All take independent bookings.

As for Mendenhall- there is nothing special about this landing, just that the glacier is more well known. Any glacier landing will be thrilling with beauty. Glaciers are in a constant state of change.