Valor and Rotan: Beg Scuba, Snuba or Snorkel?

stumomx3

Hello,

We are set to sail June 14 on the Valor. If we get to Isla Rotan (which we hear is fabulous) we are not sure which we want to do. We have snorkeled and loved it, maybe want to try scuba (but not just at shore or in a pool) or snuba sounds interesting. Any suggestions? THANKS!

Have you looked at the section of Cruise Critic boards for ports of call? There are lots of ideas for things to do at all the ports. I recall going to Fins and Flippers, which is easily accessed at the pier, and I enjoyed the snorkeling there. Not sure about scuba or snuba but I think the section on ports of call should give you "lots of food for thought" to make your plans. Have fun on your cruise!

My husband did the Ultimate Discover Diving-2 Dives with Roatan Cruise Excursions a division of Island Marketing LTD. The first dive is off the shore and the second is off the boat. I do not remember how far down he went. He was with the instructor the entire time. It cost about $100 plus transportation ($15).

My husband and I did the beginning scuba in Roatan, through Carnival. It was a wonderful excursion.

After a bus ride to the boat, you do a brief classroom lesson. While you are in the classroom the excursion people get your gear together and set it up on the boat. You then get on the boat, put on your gear, and motor over to some shallow water (right near the docks) to practice. This is near their dolphin pen, so you get to see the dolphins swimming around.

Once you are comfortable with the gear, they take you out in the open water to Scuba dive. The helpy you get in the water and assist you throughout the dive. We went down to about 40 feet. Both my husband and I had issues. I am a certified diver (but haven't used my certification for years) and I had a lot of trouble with pain in my sinuses and it took me a while to get down to the depth of the dive. I got personal attention the whole time, and a lot of assistance and encouragement. My husband needed additional weights, and one of the Scuba guides brought him the weights and made sure he was good.

The reef was beautiful. One of the nicest I have seen in a while. Huge healthy coral with lots of colorful fish.

Archived