Queen's Staircase

dividedsky

I would say, yes, it is worth the trip, although such things are highly subjective. It's a nice, not too far, walk through town to the stairs from the ship. Some of the streets are narrow with very little room to walk between walls and the street. The route is not well marked. It might take up to 30 minutes to get there once you clear the ship terminal. Once there, you can learn local history from one of the unofficial 'guides.' It's worth a buck each to hear their spiel. Once you climb the staircase (a very long staircase) it is a short walk to the fort at the top of the hill. There are local vendors near the fort. That may be a plus or a minus depending on your preferences. Also, in my opinion if you are going to the stairs, you may as well go to the fort. There is no charge for either one. It is a small fort, but it provides nice views of the ship, the sea and some of Nassau. I would recommend that a person be reasonably healthy and mobile to do this little, private excursion.

you may as well go to the fort. There is no charge for either one. It is a small fort, but it provides nice views of the ship, the sea and some of Nassau.

When I was at the fort in January, there was a small charge to enter. It was like a dollar and some change per person. But I totally agree, the views are wonderful and worth going. I've been twice now and probably wouldn't go again but definitely something to check out, both the stairs and the fort.

Last time we were there we did a self guided walking tour that I found online, it has been years so I don't remember which site it was from. It included the staircase. It takes you past several points of history and the distillery, all very close to port. It was well worth the time. If you google it you will probably have no problem finding one.

• 2 weeks later...