Bar Harbor Lobster Bake Question

CruiseCacher

While looking for a different type of lobster experience, I discovered "Bar Harbor Lobster Bakes". Has anyone had personal experience eating there?

Princess offers two excursions that include a lobster bake (see “Ports & Excursions Bar Harbor”). The menu appears to be the same as that offered at Bar Harbor Lobster Bakes. Can anyone confirm if the Princess excursions go to the same place or if there two different lobster bake establishments?

Thanks, Bob

Lobster bakes are not an unusual thing in Maine. Just a quick Google search shows three places in Bar Harbor that do them. Whether or not the Princess excursions use the company you've found, I couldn't say, but even they do off site bakes, so who knows.

Edited by chengkp75

And also, when you're googling, search for "clam bake" as well, because that's really what they are usually called in Maine. The star of the show is the lobster, but the clams (steamers), mussels, New England Portuguese-American sausage, potatoes, corn-on-the-cob, onions, rockweed, etc, are all part of the mix (the sausage is more of a southeastern New England thing than a Maine thing).

While the generic term is "clam bake"; the ingredients are typically similar, with wide variation in the details. And in coastal Maine, they are a regional staple, especially in the summer (although I definitely prefer winter lobsters). For the best traditional fare, look for a place that uses fresh local ingredients, The lobsters and mollusks should all be local, and alive when the preparation starts, and the spuds should be from inland Maine, for the most authentic local flavor.

And also, when you're googling, search for "clam bake" as well, because that's really what they are usually called in Maine. The star of the show is the lobster, but the clams (steamers), mussels, New England Portuguese-American sausage, potatoes, corn-on-the-cob, onions, rockweed, etc, are all part of the mix (the sausage is more of a southeastern New England thing than a Maine thing).

While the generic term is "clam bake"; the ingredients are typically similar, with wide variation in the details. And in coastal Maine, they are a regional staple, especially in the summer (although I definitely prefer winter lobsters). For the best traditional fare, look for a place that uses fresh local ingredients, The lobsters and mollusks should all be local, and alive when the preparation starts, and the spuds should be from inland Maine, for the most authentic local flavor.

Aaaah, I am so hungry right now!

Lobster bakes are not an unusual thing in Maine. Just a quick Google search shows three places in Bar Harbor that do them…

And also, when you're googling, search for "clam bake" as well, because that's really what they are usually called in Maine. The star of the show is the lobster, but the clams (steamers), mussels, New England Portuguese-American sausage, potatoes, corn-on-the-cob, onions, rockweed, etc, are all part of the mix…

Thanks for the advice. I found other places that offer the equivalent meal with lobster, mussels/clams, potatoes, and corn-on-the-cob (thankfully, no sausage). Blueberry pie also seems to be a staple.

Bob