Hellicopter tour on Greenland stop

Hi-Has anyone taken a helicopter tour from Greenland? Any recommendations, etc.? Our ship the Caribbean Princess stops in Qagortog for the day and four of us would love to see the scenery from the air. Many thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what to tell you--Greenland is no way like any thing you have seen before.Very barren icy island.I don't think I saw a tree.The vikings named it Greenland in a attempt to lure settlers there.It didn't work.I would spend what time I have there exploring the ruins of the the viking settlements.What a hard life they had.That's worth while.With a helicopter ride all you are going to see is barren rock and ice.I have seen better in Alaska.

Years ago I spent 3-4 months flying a helicopter up both coast of and was not impresed.I know time changes but I doubt it has in Greenland since I was up there over fifty years.Do a Google search for "operation look-see" and if you see anything about helicopters click it on.It could give you an idea what to expect.

You're lucky to get to go to Greenland.Not many people get to see it

Enjoy

I don't know what to tell you--Greenland is no way like any thing you have seen before.Very barren icy island.I don't think I saw a tree.The vikings named it Greenland in a attempt to lure settlers there.It didn't work.I would spend what time I have there exploring the ruins of the the viking settlements.What a hard life they had.That's worth while.With a helicopter ride all you are going to see is barren rock and ice.I have seen better in Alaska.

Years ago I spent 3-4 months flying a helicopter up both coast of and was not impresed.I know time changes but I doubt it has in Greenland since I was up there over fifty years.Do a Google search for "operation look-see" and if you see anything about helicopters click it on.It could give you an idea what to expect.

You're lucky to get to go to Greenland.Not many people get to see it

Enjoy

Did you actually do a flightseeing tour in Greenland? What company was it with, and what time of year was it?

I would think that as long as you were visiting at a time of year when there was still ice (and not just barren rock) that it could be quite stunning. Some of the aerial photos I've seen of the glaciers are definitely pretty. (And I would love to be able to see one of the ice canyons someday!)

06helicopter.jpg?unique=5789.400946814567

(It may just be ice, but I still think it's gorgeous! :o)

pennez, there are two outfitters in nearby Narsarsuaq that might be able to give you some information:

http://www.greenland.com/en/explore-greenland/sydgroenland/narsarsuaq/things-to-do.aspx?id=6476

Not sure how you would cover the 10 miles between the two towns, but they might be able to tell you if it's possible or suggest contacts in Qaqortoq. Maybe you could even convince one of them to come pick you up! ;)

I've never been to Greenland, but the eastern coast and the ice fields are at the top of my bucket list at the moment! (Well, technically it's tied with Mt. Nyiragongo, but I'm a little more hesitant to plan a trek through the DRC these days.)

Kaisatsu---through the courtesy of the United States Air Force I flew a helicopter from the deck of a Canadian sealing vessel from August to the end of November 1957 at which time the weather got bad and the seas too rough to fly.We went up both coast doing the final survey for the extension of the DEW line across the ice cap of Greenland.The island is very barren with very little wildlife or vegetation.Lots of ice and glaciers.Really can't get too excited about it.

If you want to see some beautiful glaciers go to Alaska.Been there twice as a tourist.First time we took a helicopter tour that landed on a glacier and we was able to walk around.The second time,last July,we took a airplane tour around Mount Mckinley and landed on one of its glaciers.Also was able to walk around.Now that was awesome.

Kaisatsu---your comments on Oslo are very much appreciated.Love Oslo and it people.Been there twice

I enjoyed Alaska, but more for the wildlife. I thought the glaciers in Antarctica were much more spectacular. But I love icescapes in general, and since i really like Svalbard, I figure I would really enjoy Greenland as well.

....then I'm sure your will enjoy Greenland as it is different from what you have seen.It's good to see people enjoy icescapes as it can be very beauiful and rewarding but what I didn't enjoy about Greenland was see the natives and especially the children being so cold,lonely and with so little to look forward in life.So sad.I doubt very seriously if any of the young children that I gave helicopter rides to over 50 years ago are still alive today.

Anyway you will enjoy Greenland

• 1 month later...

Archived