Airline/Airport Recommendations

2CAcruisers

Next Sept, husband and I are booked on 15 day European Explorer cruise Copenhagen to Rome.

We are flying out of San Francisco Bay Area (SFO, OAK or SJC)..most likely SFO.

I’ve been looking at the different options we have with airlines & connecting cites. Our preference would be only 1 stop each way.

Some of the connecting airports are Newark, Atlanta, CDG, Heathrow, Frankfurt, Munich on the way over and back.

If you had a choice of these connecting cities, which would you choose and which would you absolutely stay away from if possible.

Also, any preferences in carriers: Delta, Continental, United, British Airways, Air France?

Stay away from CDG if possible. CDG can be a complete nightmare.

British Airways, which I love and truly has some of the best service over the pond, is a 10 hour nonstopper from SFO to LHR. If you can take the 10 hours flying time, that is the one I would pick.

As a VERY loyal AA flier, my second choice would be SFO to ORD to LHR to Copenhagen. The London to Copenhagen flight is on BA. And you would get miles, which you will not get on the BA flight (unless you credit to Qantas or Alaska Airlines).

The only other option I would consider is the Continental flight to Newark and then nonstop from Newark to Copenhage.

The reverse would be just about the same. But the Continental connection from Rome is through CDG. I still would pick BA if you can take the 10 hour straight flying time.

Next Sept, husband and I are booked on 15 day European Explorer cruise Copenhagen to Rome.

I’ve been looking at the different options we have with airlines & connecting cites. Our preference would be only 1 stop each way.

Some of the connecting airports are Newark, Atlanta, CDG, Heathrow, Frankfurt, Munich on the way over and back.

If you had a choice of these connecting cities, which would you choose and which would you absolutely stay away from if possible.

Also, any preferences in carriers: Delta, Continental, United, British Airways, Air France?

CDG: last choice. Excepty for arrivals, departures, transfers, and time killing, this is s FINE airport. :)

Munich: #1 choice. Wel designed, small and effecient. It has the shortest allowable connection time of any airport -- a sign of how effecient it is.

Frankfurt: large, but well sign-posted. Nothing wrong with connecting through here.

Heathrow: A maze. Not on my list of favorites. Connections can take a LONG time -- depending on from were you are arrive to wence to need to go.

Atlanta: Not one of my favorites. Actually, not bad except for frequent delays due to weather.

Newark: Nothing arrives here on time. This is usually compensated by the fact that nothing leaves on time either.

Assuming you are flying back-of-plane, I don't really think it makes all that much difference which airline you take. Everything being equal, I'd go with Con Air.

Paul

You might want to have a look at this similar thread.

One of the things to bear in mind is that San Francisco -> Heathrow -> Copenhagen on British Airways will involve you transferring from Terminal 1 to Terminal 4. However, Rome -> Heathrow -> San Francisco will be a Terminal 1 -> Terminal 1 connection, which should very easy (just the security screening, no terminal change).

Archived