Salerno wheelchair access

Chdina

Can anyone tell me if the port shuttle at Salerno Italy is wheelchair accessible. I read somewhere that you cannot walk in the port area and need to take a shuttle to the port gate, but I cannot find out if it is wheelchair accessible or not.

Can anyone tell me if the port shuttle at Salerno Italy is wheelchair accessible. I read somewhere that you cannot walk in the port area and need to take a shuttle to the port gate, but I cannot find out if it is wheelchair accessible or not.

If I recall correctly the shuttle does not have a wheelchair lift . Additionally accessibility throughout Salerno is very limited at best. Suggest you search the internet to see if there are another companies in Salerno that can provide private accessible tours and or contact the cruise line to see what is any accessible tours are offered.

I am trying to find out how we get to the port gate if the shuttle is not accessible as we are not allowed to walk about the port area. This is not the shuttle into town I'm talking about. From what I can gather the port provides a shuttle to the gate where you then get the cruise ship shuttle into town or board excursion coaches. I can book a private excursion but it picks us up at the cruise terminal. I have emailed Royal Caribbean.

Hi,

I would suggest that you contact your cruise line's Accessible Department to see if they can help.

Pete

I am trying to find out how we get to the port gate if the shuttle is not accessible as we are not allowed to walk about the port area. This is not the shuttle into town I'm talking about. From what I can gather the port provides a shuttle to the gate where you then get the cruise ship shuttle into town or board excursion coaches. I can book a private excursion but it picks us up at the cruise terminal. I have emailed Royal Caribbean.

If you booked through a TA than you may have contact your TA to contact RCCL. If you booked directly with RCCL than suggest you considering actually phoning the Special Needs if possible but that may be difficult being that your profile states Scotland. Anyway here the info

RCCL Access Department

USA phone # : (866) 592-7225

USA fax # fax (954) 628-9622

Email Address : special_needs@rccl.com

Finding it really difficult to get an answer from Royal Caribbean. I emailed them stating why each of their accessible excursions were not suitable. I asked if there were definately no accessible excursions to Pisa or any from Salerno. Mainly though I just want to know if we can leave the ship in Salerno. I saw on one private excursion providers web page that they could pick passengers up right at the ship but I would like Royal Caribbean to confirm this. I asked a company that provides accessible excursions but they said they pick up at the port gates. I explained there may be no way for us to get to the port gates, so far they haven't got back to me. I have even emailed the port authorities but they haven't got back to me either.

Finding it really difficult to get an answer from Royal Caribbean. I emailed them stating why each of their accessible excursions were not suitable. I asked if there were definately no accessible excursions to Pisa or any from Salerno. Mainly though I just want to know if we can leave the ship in Salerno. I saw on one private excursion providers web page that they could pick passengers up right at the ship but I would like Royal Caribbean to confirm this. I asked a company that provides accessible excursions but they said they pick up at the port gates. I explained there may be no way for us to get to the port gates, so far they haven't got back to me. I have even emailed the port authorities but they haven't got back to me either.

Don't expect RCCL to be able to answer your question regarding whether or not a private tour provider will be able to pick you up directly at the ship as it's not in its authority to provide you with that information. Reason being is whether or not a private vehicle can directly enter the port area and drive up close to ship is controlled by the Local Port Authorities as well as other Government Agencies and NOT the Cruise lines. Also the tour provider has to be pre-cleared/pre-approved by the Port Authority as well as other Government agencies and the tour provider generally has to pay costly port fees to enter the port.

Thanks. Why couldn't Royal Caribbean tell me this instead of keeping me hanging on. They tell you, you can't get off at a tender port so why wouldn't they advise that you can't easily get off at this port? So frustrating. I have seen tour operators advertising they can pick up directly from the ship, but not one who provides wheelchair access. Oh well, another day on the ship.

Thanks. Why couldn't Royal Caribbean tell me this instead of keeping me hanging on. They tell you, you can't get off at a tender port so why wouldn't they advise that you can't easily get off at this port? So frustrating. I have seen tour operators advertising they can pick up directly from the ship, but not one who provides wheelchair access. Oh well, another day on the ship.

Are you able to transfer to a car seat and have a folding collapsible wheelchair? If so than suggest you speak directly to the Shore Excursions Manager directly on board the ship. The On-Board Shore Excursions Manager may be able to assist you to get to the Port Entrance where you can than get a taxi to tour around. The On-Board Shore Excursion Manager has far more knowledge of the port area than anyone that you have already contacted.

No my son cannot transfer from his powered wheelchair. I don't want to risk waiting until I'm on board to find out whether or not we can get to the cruise terminal. There are no wheelchair accessible taxis in Italy, so I would have to book accessible transport before I get there. I have found a company who can enter the port area to pick us up. €490 for a half day to Herculaneum. I am so regretting booking this cruise.