MV Galapagos Explorer II, dinner options?

luvmytigs

We travel regularly on land and cruise tours. The accompanying fourteen year old can be a challenge when there arent options- an offer of Veal or Fish is disasterous for this kid:eek:. What should we expect on the Explorer II?

As long as there is pizza/hamburgers/chicken/italian, all is well.

Thanks much!

We sailed on them back in October. There were choices for dinner every night, and lunch and breakfast were buffets with a wide variety of food. I enjoyed the food (and the cruise). The Galapagos are pretty incredible.

• 4 months later...

Following up for research purposes- ( I find these threads when I'm researching and wonder why no one reports back for future searchers!;))

Our GE 2 cruise (4 night) Aug 2012 included dinner menus that you reviewed each AM at breakfast. You made your selections then, but could change your mind if your tastes changed later. Every menu had at least two appetizer(called entrees in Ecuador) two soup, and two dessert options each night. There were 4 main dishes offered each night, most nights there was a fowl ( chicken or duck or ostrich depending on the night), a beef option or pork, usually at least two seafood options, a fish and a shellfish. There was also a section with selections for "kids" of all ages. These included hamburgers, or pizza, lasagna or other pasta, usually with different options each night. These also didn't resemble their auntie States counterparts according to the children we traveled with who tired them, but were mor familiar than shrimp ( with the heads and tails on) or ostrich.

Breakfast was a large buffet with hot and cold foods and also and omlette station.

Lunch was also a buffet with a ceviche of the day, a soup of the day, a salad bar that featured several unusual salads, such as pickled vegetables and things we in the US think of as dinner vegetables ( like broccoli and peas). There were at least 6 salad dressings. Next to the salad bar were chafing dishes with at least two hot entrees, rice and grilled vegetables. Most popular was a daily pasta station where two chefs prepared pasta dishes with your choice of sauce.

Best of all: the dessert buffet at lunch which always offered a selection of 4 or more sweet desserts and a fruit salad, strawberries in skewers, with strawberry, chocolate and dulce de leche sauces to add to any of the desserts.

Service was speedy and polite. The senior officers working in the dining room went out of their way to make sure you were comfortable and were enjoying your meals. Waiters went the extra distance inquiring after ones health if one left a meal early due to motion, or offering to fill our water bottles for us when they saw we had brought them to lunch empty, meaning to fill them after lunch before the excursion. And unlike other areas of Ecuador, the ship is excellent at understanding cultural food differences; coffee was offered with a splash of milk for North Americans, sushi was offered at breakfast for folks on a Japanese tour, many traditional British breakfast foods were offered for the British tour group on board.

Our party of 6 really enjoyed the food, and had no probelms selecting something yummy, including my teens (who I admit are adventurous eater and are willing to try things that are new). Everything is prepared very well, fresh and well seasoned and sauced, beautifully presented. I felt that for an expedition vessel the food was excellent!

Archived