The last of the Costa Concordia

Tonka's Skipper

For those interested the last of the Costa Concordia has been towed to drydock #4, Genoa and cutting up.

http://www.lecostaconcordia.com/A8-The-dismantling-of-the-Concordia.htm

I whole event was a mix on human errors and a lack of proper administration by Costa Line/ Carnival Inc. and a playboy Master.

AKK

For those interested the last of the Costa Concordia has been towed to drydock #4' date=' Genoa and cutting up.

http://www.lecostaconcordia.com/A8-The-dismantling-of-the-Concordia.htm

I whole event was a mix on human errors and a lack of proper administration by Costa Line/ Carnival Inc. and a playboy Master.

AKK[/quote']

thanks for posting..

that was interesting..

we have friends who were on it..

if i remember correctly, they were in the theater when 'it' happened..

they were told everything is fine, but they immediately went to their rooms, got their lifevests, money belts, passports, medicine, put on several layers of clothing and headed to their lifeboat station where havoc reigned..

i can't remember how long it took before they were finally off, but they felt that had they not done everything when they did, they might not have gotten off at all..

actually, it was their 21 daughter who got them moving, got them to layer their clothes, etc..

told them they had to get to their room, do all that, etc...

she took charge and got them out...

thanks for posting..

that was interesting..

we have friends who were on it..

if i remember correctly, they were in the theater when 'it' happened..

they were told everything is fine, but they immediately went to their rooms, got their lifevests, money belts, passports, medicine, put on several layers of clothing and headed to their lifeboat station where havoc reigned..

i can't remember how long it took before they were finally off, but they felt that had they not done everything when they did, they might not have gotten off at all..

actually, it was their 21 daughter who got them moving, got them to layer their clothes, etc..

told them they had to get to their room, do all that, etc...

she took charge and got them out...

I am really glad your friends got ashore safely.

32 did not and 1 diver died during salvage operations.

There were a lot of mistakes made. The Captain for mostly responsible, but there is blame enough for the Costa/ Carnival Inc. operations policies/rules and planning. The thing at bothers me most is that the Captain did not do anything right after the grounding, the vessel was taking on massive amounts of water, and passengers were told to go to their cabins. He spent 45 to a hour on the phone with the office, discussing the *situation*. Criminal in my mind and the Italian courts as well, as in addition to the Captain, 3 Office Executives were found guilty of various charges!

AKK

I am really glad your friends got ashore safely.

32 did not and 1 diver died during salvage operations.

There were a lot of mistakes made. The Captain for mostly responsible' date=' but there is blame enough for the Costa/ Carnival Inc. operations policies/rules and planning. The thing at bothers me most is that the Captain did not do anything right after the grounding, the vessel was taking on massive amounts of water, and passengers were told to go to their cabins. He spent 45 to a hour on the phone with the office, discussing the *situation*. Criminal in my mind and the Italian courts as well, as in addition to the Captain, 3 Office Executives were found guilty of various charges!

AKK[/quote']

it's been a while, so i don't remember the details, but if i'm remembering correctly, they said that they had to wait with the lifeboat for a really long time..

that the crew members in charge of the lifeboat (who are basically pretty low level people i suppose) were waiting for the go ahead to evacuate...

and that the ship was tilting more and more and more..

they said it was terrifying..

and what was the most terrifying was how it seemed as if no one knew what to do and as if no one was in charge..

yes, i remember there were those who didn't make it..

including a 5 year old girl and her father...

so sad when it was caused by the arrogance of that captain...

Edited by alaska_planner