Back from Belize

Sooner-Cruisers

We cruised with a group of 7. I had a ton of trouble planning this port since we would have our 4 year old with us.

I told my parents and in-laws about cave tubing, after researching I booked them with cave tubing .bz. They had a great time! I knew from a disappointed reviewer to prep them for possibly riding in a bus with others, etc. They were on the bus, the driving was a bit scary. The walk a bit long, but it was their favorite activity they did. It was beautiful and fun, they were pleased with getting to have nicer tubes they didn't have to carry and getting to do more than the ship tour did. They also really enjoyed the lunch.

Me, my husband and 4 year old took our time tendering over, the ride was nice. The boat was large and easy to board. The workers went around selling tours, they were pushing a city tour. They said it was negotiable, $15-30 in an air conditioned van. We left the car seat on board, so we skipped it.

We left the port area, just behind the shops was a small flea market. We took a horse carriage city tour. It was also negotiable. We settled on $40 total. The guide was nice and shared lots of information and history. We ended up spending some time sharing the road with vehicles, that made me a little uneasy safety wise. You are a bit vulnerable in the open, but we tried to be aware of our surroundings and not be flashy. The tour stays pretty close and lasted 30-40 minutes, he did offer to stop at the store if we wanted to purchase or look around. After our tour we looked around the flea market and bought some coconuts, about half price compared to the port area. We also got my lo a hair braid with beads, she was thrilled.

Then we went back in the tourist area, checked out the chocolate shop. It smelled great! My lo loved making cocoa powder and we bought a couple treats. The prices are pretty high, I would've liked to buy more, but hard to justify it. We stopped at the Wet Lizard for a quick snack, it was packed! It looked like a lot of cruisers just hang out in the port area. After that we headed back to ship and swam and played on the water slides.

Overall, we had a really nice time. The Belizean people were friendly and made a point to thank us and tell us how grateful they are to the tourists.

Ps. I had considered the calypso train, hoping it's cheaper directly. They cannot give any discounts or they will get in trouble with the cruise lines.

We cruised with a group of 7. I had a ton of trouble planning this port since we would have our 4 year old with us.

I told my parents and in-laws about cave tubing, after researching I booked them with cave tubing .bz. They had a great time! I knew from a disappointed reviewer to prep them for possibly riding in a bus with others, etc. They were on the bus, the driving was a bit scary. The walk a bit long, but it was their favorite activity they did. It was beautiful and fun, they were pleased with getting to have nicer tubes they didn't have to carry and getting to do more than the ship tour did. They also really enjoyed the lunch.

Me, my husband and 4 year old took our time tendering over, the ride was nice. The boat was large and easy to board. The workers went around selling tours, they were pushing a city tour. They said it was negotiable, $15-30 in an air conditioned van. We left the car seat on board, so we skipped it.

We left the port area, just behind the shops was a small flea market. We took a horse carriage city tour. It was also negotiable. We settled on $40 total. The guide was nice and shared lots of information and history. We ended up spending some time sharing the road with vehicles, that made me a little uneasy safety wise. You are a bit vulnerable in the open, but we tried to be aware of our surroundings and not be flashy. The tour stays pretty close and lasted 30-40 minutes, he did offer to stop at the store if we wanted to purchase or look around. After our tour we looked around the flea market and bought some coconuts, about half price compared to the port area. We also got my lo a hair braid with beads, she was thrilled.

Then we went back in the tourist area, checked out the chocolate shop. It smelled great! My lo loved making cocoa powder and we bought a couple treats. The prices are pretty high, I would've liked to buy more, but hard to justify it. We stopped at the Wet Lizard for a quick snack, it was packed! It looked like a lot of cruisers just hang out in the port area. After that we headed back to ship and swam and played on the water slides.

Overall, we had a really nice time. The Belizean people were friendly and made a point to thank us and tell us how grateful they are to the tourists.

Ps. I had considered the calypso train, hoping it's cheaper directly. They cannot give any discounts or they will get in trouble with the cruise lines.

What age are your parents and in laws. we are doing this port in September and wanted to cave tube. My mother and a friend are in their 70's but active. I was concerned if any of the paths were too rough?

Thanks.

The four of them ranged from 65-70. They said it was about a 35 minute walk, I know they walked through water at one point, but there was a rope to use for balance. It was a mostly dirt path. My mom wore crocs, my dad old athletic shoes and my in-laws wore Teva type shoes. They said it wasn't hard.