Recommendations for half day sail to St. John?

wantocruisemore

We will be 3 people and I'm planning early I know but I am obsessive and bored right now. We do not want a ship excursion due to number of people and fins in face. We prefer either sailboat or catamaran. I checked and there will be at least 2 other ships in port that day. Unfortunately we will not dock till 11am (getting ready to switch to magic). Other 2 ships get there earlier. May have to do afternoon sail, half day is ok. Would prefer boat with up to 12 people, no larger. Since there is only 3 of us a private charter would b cost prohibitive. Looked up night wind and fury for possibles. Any recommendations?

Ideal would have 2 snorkeling stops. The privates I checked say cater to cruise schedules, but one ship docks at 8am, another 10am then ours at 11am.

Thought about waiting awhile and checking roll call for others to join us, but a friend did this and she set it up and almost all bailed or no show at last minute, causing tour to cost a lot more with her responsible.

We will be 3 people and I'm planning early I know but I am obsessive and bored right now. We do not want a ship excursion due to number of people and fins in face. We prefer either sailboat or catamaran. I checked and there will be at least 2 other ships in port that day. Unfortunately we will not dock till 11am (getting ready to switch to magic). Other 2 ships get there earlier. May have to do afternoon sail, half day is ok. Would prefer boat with up to 12 people, no larger. Since there is only 3 of us a private charter would b cost prohibitive. Looked up night wind and fury for possibles. Any recommendations?

Ideal would have 2 snorkeling stops. The privates I checked say cater to cruise schedules, but one ship docks at 8am, another 10am then ours at 11am.

Thought about waiting awhile and checking roll call for others to join us, but a friend did this and she set it up and almost all bailed or no show at last minute, causing tour to cost a lot more with her responsible.

Yes you are definitely an early bird! :p

Yes Yacht Nightwind, High Pockets, New Horizon and most others will be heading out earlier than you can get there. Other than a daysail excursion through the cruise line, the only real daysail option with a late arrival is chartering a boat. I'd suggest spending this very early time scouting your roll call for another group to share a charter and offset the costs. Yes some people can back out but if you find the right people and manage it well you will be fine as it is very common to do this on roll calls.

Many smaller operators provide excellent charters to STJ and other destinations with 2 or more snorkel and beach stops and are not that expensive when shared by 2 groups or 3 couples. You can find these operators under daysails at the vinow dot com site, and by reading reviews at tripadvisor.

You have lots of time to research - Good luck!

Edited by blue_water