Car Rental Things I should know and do

superdee

We are arriving in Saint Maarten Dec 10th on the Reflection and I have rented cars to tour the island. I was wondering if anybody can offer me any tips on places to go and not to go and things to look out for. I am from Canada and wonder if I need an international licence for either island?

We are arriving in Saint Maarten Dec 10th on the Reflection and I have rented cars to tour the island. I was wondering if anybody can offer me any tips on places to go and not to go and things to look out for. I am from Canada and wonder if I need an international licence for either island?

I just responded to your other thread. ;) On St. Martin driving was easy and we did a big circle trip around the island counter clockwise. This included a few hours on Orient Beach (don't leave anything in the car-lots of robberies) and many stops along the way. We stopped and walked around at Grand Case and Marigot and didn't have a big problem parking in either place. Then on to Maho to enjoy the arrival of the 'Big Planes'. As we headed back towards Philipsburg the traffic got a bit heavier but we still had time to stop and walk around town for half an hour before returning the car at the pier. Parking was a bit tricky in town but I had printed out a map that showed where all the lots were. We paid to park.

It was a lovely day and I'd highly recommend renting a car to enjoy this island.

I would head to Marigot and park nearest the top of the fort as possible and visit the fort and then drive to the town and look for parking near the ferry terminal and then explore the market area and Marina Royal area.

The drinking and driving laws especially on the French side of the island are very strict so that would also be something to keep in mind.