how rocky are the seas on the tahiti cruise?

motionsick1

I am thinking about taking the Tahiti cruise on the Paul Gauguin in the spring. I wanted to know how the seas compare to the Carribbean (where I did get motion sick). I tend to motion sickness and wondered if I would be able to tolerate the cruise. I would appreciate any help anyone could give me regarding this. Thank you:eek:

The PG is a shallow draught ship and does not handle rough seas very well as a result. The trip from Papeete-Raiatea can be a bit rocky and the trip from Bora Bora-Moorea the same. Other than that, you're OK. The sea is the sea and it can be rough just about anywhere in the world.

For the normal 7-day itinerary, almost all the cruising is overnight. That's something to keep in mind because most people have less difficulties while they're sleeping, and it is unusual (though possible) for the seas during the trips between the islands to wake someone up. We had very calm seas during or b2b PG cruise in February 2003, and we're going back this February. On our recent 14-day Sydney-Auckland cruise aboard the Mariner, we had one rough night between Melbourne and Hobart Tasmania, which actually woke up almost everyone. However, the expected rough seas between Hobart and New Zealand, were unusually calm. You just never know.

--------

Eugene

I have never felt a twinge on that ship, and I can get seasick on a ferry! As was mentioned below, the trip out from Bora Bora, which happens at dinner time, can be a bit of a roll, and you can always experience a mild storm (which we did one time going from Taha'a to Bora Bora). But all in all, the Societies itinerary is pretty mild. Take some Bonine along just in case.

My DH is prone to seasickness also. Luckily, it hasn't stopped him from taking any cruises. We did not experience any "rough" seas going from island to island on the PG. However, my husband takes advice from a very good friend of ours who is a nurse. He starts taking Bonine (in the morning) three days BEFORE boarding the ship and continues to take it all during the cruise and hasn't had any problems at all. We just did a 14 night from Tokyo to HK on the Mariner with some rough seas from Shanghai to HK and he didn't feel a thing. Was still able to drink all that good wine with dinner, also. Hope this helps. Tahiti is too beautiful to miss. Linda & Larry

Thank you all for your good advice. I am still considering going after hearing your replies. If most of the travel is at night, it hopefully would not be bothersome. Thanks for the advise about the Bonine, unfortunately I can no longer tolerate that or take Dramamine. I do wear accupressure wristbands which seem to work fairly well (I made it on a flight to and from Fla without a problem).

I recommend having your doctor prescribe the motion sickness patch...just in case. We were on the PG in Sept, a normally calm month, but freakish swells sent many passengers running for the head! My Dad, who has an iron stomach, but had on seabands, was sick for several days until someone gave him a patch. French Polynesia is too beautiful to spend your days in bed! Have a wonderful time!

J

I purchased a product called "The Relief Band". It looks like a watch and is battery operated. It works on the premise of nerve stimuli and sends a message to the part of your brain that causes motion sickness. It sends a tingling sensation to your middle finger and palm every few seconds. You can increase the intensity based on your nausea. The good thing about this is that it's drug free and you only need to turn it on when you feel sick. It works instantly. The bad news is that it's expensive....about $100 but is reusable. The tingling at first is distracting but you get used to it. It's also quite large and isn't the perfect accessory for formal nights!!! It worked for me and I was glad not to take any drugs. I've not seen any references to this product on the boards and wonder if anyone else has any experience with this.

Thank you all for your advice. I think I will check out the ginger. I have not had experience with the wristband described, only the accupressure bands. I have decided with all of your advice to go ahead and book the cruise. We will be traveling on the October 14 sailing with hopefully smooth seas ahead. :)

Archived