Norweigan Epic Summer 2013

GJD_82

Hello

I am new to these forums and new to singles holidays, I normally go with my family. However I fancy going round the Med on the Norweigan Epic this summer and am struggling to convince my family so considering going alone (I have never been on hols alone, eek!). The suites seem quite good so I would be interested to hear from anyone else who is contemplating something similar. I would hate to book it and have to go thinking I wouldn't know anyone and risk dining alone (I love food and wine) so is anyone else in a similar "boat" so to speak? I am worried about whether there would be enough people in a similar situation to pal up with (I am a 31 m from the UK).

Be nice!

I don't think you should worry too much. There are many other posts from people who have cruised on the EPIC and other Carnival ships solo/single and have had a great time. Attitude goes a long way on a solo vacation. I haven't been on the EPIC but just because you have a lounge for all the solos to meet and plan activities is a great start.

As far as dinner goes, I think it's a good idea to talk to the maître de on the first day and see who you are sitting with. You wouldn't want to end up sitting with families with kids instead of solos or friends traveling together. For the most part dinner conversation centers around what you do for a living, where you are from, and then what you are planning to do on port days or what you did during your day in port.

Expectations and attitude play a big role. Don't go with any other expectations other than having a good time and relaxing. Anything that happens beyond that will be a great surprise. You can do what you want and when you want to. You may meet someone nice onboard and spend some time with that person. You may find you enjoy having some time alone to yourself to rest and reflect. You don't always have to be busy running around. You can decide that for yourself.

There are many things to do onboard. Go to the activities but at the same time don't feel you have to do everything. Give yourself some time to rest also.

The first few days before the cruise you'll probably be nervous. That's ok. The first day you might be nervous still but once you get on board you'll see you will feel better. Walk around, get something to eat or drink and look around you. You will probably spot people alone. They may be alone or they may not be. People will talk to you so be open and friendly. You don't have to be embarrassed about being alone on the ship. You are not the first or the last.

Excursions are a great way to find people to hang out with. Pick excursions that are fun and active. Things like dolphins or water parks, stingrays, turtle farms are mostly filled with families. Read the destination section of the board to see what are good excursions at the ports. Some ports you can go off on your own or book an excursion on shore. But that's another topic onto itself.

In general people react positively to you having the courage to go on a trip by yourself.

• 1 month later...

Just got for it. I work in the US quite a bit so although I'm from the UK as well as you, and in my 30s - I've been n the epic this feb and am heading on the breakaway mid June. Either way, being single is fine, loads of people make the effort and speak to each other - conversely you can grab a book and just unwind without having to make the effort. I went to the garden cafe each day to eat and there was no problem eating solo or joining others. Have a great time,

Archived