Ferry to Lanai or Molokai from Maui (Wailea area) for day trip/

mikeerdas

If I wanted to take a day trip to Lanai or Molokai from the Wailea area of Maui, what would I be looking at in terms of time--both drive time to wherever the ferries leave from, as well as actually ferry time to these places--and the cost of a ferry trip itself to either Lanai or Molokai?

Probably won't be convinced by any arguments that say "don't do it!" for reasons I can go into if folks would like.

Main thing I'm wondering is, if I commit to doing this, what to expect.

Hi Mike,

The ferries leave from Lahaina - I would allow about one hour to get there and find parking, maybe add 15 minutes just to be safe.

Ferry schedules/pricing: Lanai & Molokai

The Lanai, Maui and Molokai tripadvisor forums all have threads discussing day trips from Maui - e.g. here's a good trip report for a day trip to Lanai.

Here's another one for a day trip to Molokai, although by plane instead of ferry. We copied that trip almost exactly when we were on Maui in October & I posted about it later on in that thread.

Enjoy!:)

If I wanted to take a day trip to Lanai or Molokai from the Wailea area of Maui, what would I be looking at in terms of time--both drive time to wherever the ferries leave from, as well as actually ferry time to these places--and the cost of a ferry trip itself to either Lanai or Molokai?

Probably won't be convinced by any arguments that say "don't do it!" for reasons I can go into if folks would like.

Main thing I'm wondering is, if I commit to doing this, what to expect.

We have done land vacations to the Islands numerous times over the years. We flew into Molokai from Honolulu and I'm not sure at this point if there is another way ... that trip was several years ago. We took the ferry over to Lanai but it is my understanding that the ferry doesn't run anymore. When we took the ferry to Lanai from Maui it was for a day trip, which also was a long time ago, and I believe the ferry itself was only about 45 min to an hour? Can't really remember, but it wasn't bad. We rented a jeep and went all over the island. When we went to Molokai we flew in, as I said (and it's difficult if the Kona winds are involved because of the runway, so that will depend on that what type of plane is used), but once again a short flight. We did a private rental there for a few days. It's a beautiful island and we had a blast ... it's nothing like the others at all with a much smaller population. That is just our experience and I'm just not aware of more than that. When flying to either of the islands, I 'think' you need to fly out of Honolulu. You could contact the individual islands themselves probably for more information. Good luck whatever you end up doing and enjoy! :)

MMOMOM - just a note that the ferry still does run to Lanai and back, and Mokulele Airline has direct flights between Maui (OGG) & Molokai.

Thanx Susan! That's good to know. The last time we were the ferry wasn't running (some political issues I think at the time) and we did have to go to HNL, but then again, I could be so wrong since it was long ago we went to Molokai. We'll be in Kauai and Maui this Fall, so who knows, now maybe we will make a return 'day' trip! Appreciate your info! :)

Thanks again. Hoping either the Lanai or Molokai ferry also has a car ferry option and not just a passenger ferry. Because I'll have already paid for a car rental while I am in Maui.

Will check the links listed. But if there are car ferries, what have peoples' experiences been with them? Ought you or must you book in advance? This is for mid to late May.