Biking?

Here's a good site the provides information on biking in Acadia National Park which is located just outside of Bar Harbor, Me. http://www.barharbormagic.com/biking.html

You can ride on park roads but you have watch out for auto traffic; or you can ride on carriage roads which are auto free.

There is a free bus service, Island Explorer, which has 8 bus routes on MDI which will transport you and your bike to anywhere the bus goes. There is a special bus service, Bicycle Express, that will take you and the bike to Eagle Lake where you can access the carriage road system of ANP.

When I just visited the IE homepage, the dates of operation where still for 2013.

SBtS

We love biking...has anyone rented bikes close to the port in Portland, Bar Harbor, or St. John? Are there any nice areas to ride, or too many hills?

Thanks...

Since no one has posted a reply for Portland, I'm giving it shot to at least point you in the right direction. For St Johns, I would post your question to the Canadian forum if you haven't already or at least search there.

Bicycle rentals from Portland YP:

• Cycle Mainia
    • 59 Federal St, Portland, ME 04101
    • Phone number (207) 774-2933

[*]Peak Performance Sports

• 59 Middle St, Portland, ME 04101
    • Phone number (207) 780-8200

The 2 that I listed appear on the YPs' map to be less than a mile from the cruise ship terminals. There are others further away.

SBtS

SailBad has provided some good info on Portland. Be aware that the city is built on a ridged promontory, so there will be a lot of up hill and down dale while riding in the city. There will also be a fair bit of cobblestone paving, especially in the Old Port and waterfront area, which is bad enough in a car, but must be heck on a bike (too old to try it). Not sure where you're from, so you may or may not be familiar with New England paving, and what our winters do to it, but expect pot holes large enough to swallow small children.