Any solos on the NCL Getaway 4/12?

daisymayusa

I'm excited, can't wait to check out the studio suites/ lounge.

But I'm a little nervous about meeting people, or eating/drinking alone.

I'm a 30 y.o woman, I'd love to meet some people to hang around with- eat, drink, dance, be merry!!

I'm going solo for the 3rd time on NCL! Have you checked out our roll call? It's kind of sleepy. Ive been upgraded to a balcony, but I'll be in the lounge looking for dinner companions. I prefer the speciality restaurants. I'm your moms age, though, so I'm sure you'll be looking for others your age. If you'd like to try any or all specialities, let me know......Meg

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi Girls

I am already going to Key West to visit friends in April, but I want to do the solo cabin in December. I have been thinking about it since they introduced them, and I also am a bit apprehensive (especislly about being in ports alone). But I am planning to get brave and try it out myself during my Christmas vacation time. I'm sure that you will have people to hang out with for dining ect. through the service that's provided in the studio lounge area and they have an NCL person who can help with that. Based on what I've read, you will have more trouble finding a lounge chair at the pool than some dining/social companions. I have traveled solo many times, just not on a cruise ship. I really enjoy having all that freedom to come and go as I please. I think this is a perfect opportunity to try a cruise out by yourself as they seem to help out with all of those incidentals that you're concerned about. Go have fun and I'm interested to get feedback from you when you return. :)

Hi Meg!

I saw you were upgraded! So awesome. Well I feel I'm well-rounded enough to get along with people of all ages. In any case, I was not planning on doing the specialty dining in an attempt to save some money, but perhaps when we meet in the Studio Lounge, we can discuss excursions!

Now Ms/Mr Teacher21... were you planning on doing the NCL cruise out of NY on Dec. 28? Because I'm really interested in that one as well!

I'm excited, can't wait to check out the studio suites/ lounge.

But I'm a little nervous about meeting people, or eating/drinking alone.

I'm a 30 y.o woman, I'd love to meet some people to hang around with- eat, drink, dance, be merry!!

I'm going solo for the 3rd time on NCL! Have you checked out our roll call? It's kind of sleepy. Ive been upgraded to a balcony, but I'll be in the lounge looking for dinner companions. I prefer the speciality restaurants. I'm your moms age, though, so I'm sure you'll be looking for others your age. If you'd like to try any or all specialities, let me know......Meg

Hi fellow solo travelers. I went on the similar ship Epic out of Miami last year with the same itinerary as yours and very close to signing up again for April...the prices are really low.

I stayed in the Studios and like you had some anxiety about going alone on my first ever cruise . I couldn't have had a better time. I was fortunate to befriend two nice people in the forums a few weeks before which really helped. Our little group grew daily through the 5:00pm meets in the lounge. I had no downtime in that there was always something to do with someone. Perhaps that isn't typical but in the end a little effort will dictate how the week goes.

If you have questions about the studios, fire away.

Edited by DaveL00

Dave that's great that you had a fun time!

Which excursions did you do?

Part of me wonders if I should book before the cruise, or if I should wait and see if I meet people and do excursions with them!

Also, did you purchase the beverage package? Is it worth it?

Finally, did you ever eat alone? Was it uncomfortable?

Hi Meg!

I saw you were upgraded! So awesome. Well I feel I'm well-rounded enough to get along with people of all ages. In any case, I was not planning on doing the specialty dining in an attempt to save some money, but perhaps when we meet in the Studio Lounge, we can discuss excursions!

Now Ms/Mr Teacher21... were you planning on doing the NCL cruise out of NY on Dec. 28? Because I'm really interested in that one as well!

Hey Daisy,

I've been to these ports so many times, it's like old home week. You're welcome to join me if you wish. In Nassau, I'll be taking the jitney ($2.50 rt) to Cable Beach at the Sheraton. In St. Martin, I'll be sharing a cab to Orient Beach and a little shopping. In St. Thomas, I'll do some jewelry shopping at the pier and then share a cab to any beach since I think they're very similar. Typically, I eat breakfast in the MDR and get off the ship as earlier as possible. I don't do ship excursions. Twice it's rained in St. Thomas, and excursions are often like cattle calls, a little pricier, and less time on the islands than I prefer...I'd rather save money on excursions and splurge on the speciality restaurants where the food is immensely better than the MDR, IMHO. ;)

Part of me wonders if I should book before the cruise, or if I should wait and see if I meet people and do excursions with them!

Hi daisymayusa,

The person I met in the forums who I hanged with and myself didn't really stress a schedule. The only excursion we did was mini power boats with snorkeling in St Thomas. https://stthomascruiseexcursions.com/MiniPowerBoats.htm

In St Maarten we ended up at the beach and Nassau we just walked around the shopping area off port. We did hit a few of the specialty restaurants with the groups that formed out of the Studio lounge area. They didn't have the beverage package when I went in March because it was considered college Spring Break. I can honestly say, there were very rare times I found myself alone and if so, it wasn't for long. The various groups out of the Studios grew by the day. Everything just seemed to come together. I'm not sure if this is a typical week as a solo but you should have no problem finding some people to pal around with.

speciality restaurants where the food is immensely better than the MDR, IMHO. ;)

Agreed.

Edited by DaveL00

I dug up some info on the drink packages. In your case, it won't be available because of blackout.

"Also not available during blackout dates of March 1 – April 15, applies to sailings that includes these dates. Blackout dates do not apply to Norwegian Jade or Norwegian Spirit."

Here's the link. http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/gifts-and-more#ultimate

Some people say it's worth it and some won't. Of course it depends on how many drinks you can down in a day...about 7 would break you even at $49/day.

You also need to factor in 3 afternoons off the ship out and about.

I believe there is or used to be a 2 for 1 happy hour in the lounge everyday. I do remember a bartender being there but oddly enough no one seemed to be buying any drinks!?

Edited by DaveL00

Dave,

My last Epic cruise, we formed a group of five to hit all the specialities. I'm hoping the same thing happens on this getaway! I'll post on the whiteboard in the studio lounge...

Dave,

My last Epic cruise, we formed a group of five to hit all the specialities. I'm hoping the same thing happens on this getaway! I'll post on the whiteboard in the studio lounge...

I hope you have the same experience on this trip. The studios are showing sold out which is a good sign. I'm still on the fence on a solo April 6 Epic trip. Secured airfare but haven't bought my NCL ticket. Nothing like deciding very last minute!

Edited by DaveL00