Uniworld "Family Friendly Program"--any reviews?

tarheelgrad98

Hi all,

In doing a little travel planning and research, I just discovered that river cruising is apparently THE thing now. My husband and I have been mulling over the idea of a family trip to Vienna for December 2014, but now I'm seriously tempted to spring for a Christmas market river cruise instead. (We also thought about a cruise for just the two of us this June, but having just stumbled upon river cruising, obviously everything's pretty much booked up at this point!)

I see that Uniworld has a "multigenerational family friendly program" which includes a cruise itinerary for the Christmas markets. I'm just wondering if any of y'all cruisers have been on the River Queen during one of these special itineraries? (I'd be open to comments about their summer dates as well--I'm just trying to get a feel for the success of the "family friendly" approach in general.) I tried searching the forum and didn't see much in the way of comments specifically about this program of Uniworld's. I think my husband and I are already a little younger than the typical crowd (we're mid-to-late 30's), but that doesn't bother us.

I noticed that there were more than a few comments that river cruising isn't for kiddos. In December 2014 our kids will be 8 and almost 12, and even now they're easy-going, traveling pros. They aren't interested in kid's clubs or overt "entertainment." (We took them on a Disney cruise last Spring Break and while they enjoyed the experience overall, they didn't participate in any of the kids' activities--even on Disney, it was geared more for the really young kiddos or the too-cool-for-Disney-school tweens and teens. They hung out with us instead.) Also, we'd be traveling with my parents and aunt and uncle so it's a jovial crew. Nevertheless, seeing those comments is why I'm seeking opinions on the "family friendly" itinerary.

It just seems like a Christmas market cruise would be a great introduction to Europe for my kiddos (and also my parents, who have never been to Europe) and just a magical time for a family trip. My husband and I loved Vienna in December and I know all of Europe, but especially Germany/Austria/Switzerland, is especially charming at Christmastime.

Thanks for any advice, comments, or suggestions!

~Anna

Hi - Welcome to the River Cruise forum!!! I am sure that you will get lots of comments/suggestion...

First off, let me say we have not taken a multigenerational/family program cruise - but I can comment on Uniworld, the River Queen and a Christmas market cruise.

While river cruises - generally - are not geared for children, it sounds as if you know your children, and what will (or will not) interest them.

Uniworld provides a high end product. We have cruised with them 3 times so far - once on the River Queen, for a Christmas market cruise on the Rhine. They have always delivered everything they promised - often, more...

My DH and I have always felt that age wasn't an issue for us... We tend to be on the younger end of passengers (mid-50's) - but have always enjoyed the passengers, regardless of the ages. There has usually been at least one or two younger couples on our river cruises - and everyone usually seems to find their "place" in the group. If you are planning to travel with your parents as well as your children, I would think that you will have a great time - as you will have your own "group" for the tour.

Not sure if this is really of any help to you...

Whatever your decision - have fun planning!!

Fran

Archived