Grand Cayman~ Stingrays & Calico Jacks?? Help!!

xxdance8chikxx

Hey all~ heading to Grand Cayman on the Carnival Freedom middle of March.. really want to see the stingrays. Was at first considering the Carnival stingray excursion where they take you to see the stingrays and then an 1 1/2 hour beach getaway at rum point. I have been hearing reviews about Calico Jacks on 7 mile beach and had a few questions.. is this a free beach, is it usually packed? We LOVED the Boatyard in Barbados if anyone has been and looking for something like that. Recommendations please!!

Also! We want to see the stingrays. Will there be guides/tours around the area to take you to see them? I just get weary not planning excursions ahead of time, and we also want some beach time in Grand Cayman too.

Thank you!!

EDIT:: I have been doing more research and also have been hearing great things about Royal Palms... do the beach chairs get filled up early, or has anyone done a cabana? Just looking for somehwere to relax on the beach in a fun upbeat atmosphere to have some drinks, play volleyball etc. Thanks in advancE!

Edited by xxdance8chikxx
:)

• 2 weeks later...

we went to Calico Jack's our first time in Cayman. No big deal, took public transportation and got off and chilled. Convenience is, right next door to public area with volleyball nets and benches if you want it. Calico Jack's is a small shack on the beach serving up cold beer and food. The water there is amazing, at least it was when we went. There were vendors renting chairs and water toys, we did not partake. Thought of going there again as we have booked excursions at all 3 other ports, and this is cheap! However, wanted to go to Rum Point last time and did not have enough time, this time we do! Who knows, I am down to planning for this last port and not sure what we will do....

I am so glad you liked Calico Jack's! I can see the beach at it right now from my back dock. I think it is a hidden gem. It is clean, showers, good burgers, great drinks and the prettiest part of 7 mile beach. The snorkeling is also pretty good right off there. If the cruise ship passengers are there, just move a little to the left or right. We go over to watch the sun set several times a week.

babysmama….

can you update me to the current conditions of the beach there? We are leaning to re-visit since it was easy to get to and like being right next to 'the shack' for cold beer and food. Our only hang up is the cost of chairs through the vendors there. Especially when there are a few resorts that offer cheap day passes and a pool for almost nothing….

We r thinking about snorkeling Governors reef, then going to Calico Jacks. Is this feasible to walk from one to the other? It doesn't look too far and we r in good shape.

Last year we snorkeled from the dive shop in town but want to try a diff location.:)

I think you might mean Cemetary Reef? It is about miles, walking on the beach to Calico Jack's. At Jack's the lounges are free.drinks are great and bathrooms and showers are clean. The pan fried Cayman Style Fish with Coconut Rice And peas are delicious. I snorkel with my small Grandchildren off Jack's. I put on their vests and pull them o. A clear heavy duty raft. It is very much a local family place.

I'm trying to find some place along 7 mi beach to snorkel. I know that the beach area doesn't have the best clarity.

According to what I read, Cemetery reef is supposed to b good, but looks like its kind of far away from everything.

It may not be called Governors Reef, but is off shore from the Governors mansion. This seemed like a good option. I would like to snorkel, the rest of the family not so much. LOL

We have our own gear and plan on using the local bus.

Thanks!

• 1 year later...
I'm trying to find some place along 7 mi beach to snorkel. I know that the beach area doesn't have the best clarity.

According to what I read, Cemetery reef is supposed to b good, but looks like its kind of far away from everything.

It may not be called Governors Reef, but is off shore from the Governors mansion. This seemed like a good option. I would like to snorkel, the rest of the family not so much. LOL

We have our own gear and plan on using the local bus.

Thanks!

So it's nearly 2 years later...

How did it go? Did you find some snorkeling? I'm in the same boat (pun intended, lol). I want to snorkel while the family wants a lazy beach day. Did you find a way to make everyone happy??