Pride of America Feb 2017 Volcano National Park advice

Blondie2017

Good evening!

I'm looking for some advice to make the most of our day in Hilo. We are renting a car for the day in port and would like to go to the Volcano State Park. I am wondering if we will have time to see the Crater Rim drive AND the Arches drive all the way to the ocean (and see the lava flow into the water). I have heard that it takes everywhere from 3 hours to 45 minutes to do the arches drive? Can anyone help?

TIA

When we visited Volcano State Park we made sure we were the first people off the boat and took the rental car van to the airport. According to my pictures we were hiking the Kilauea Iki crater hike by 9:30. This hike took us 2 hours and then we drove to the end of the Chain of Crater Road by 12:30. We saw the arch and hiked out on the lava for a bit (maybe 30 minutes or so). We then drove back up the road to hike to the Pu'u Loa Petroglyphs. We then were back up at the top at the Jaggar Museum to see the crater from the overlook by 3 PM. We still had enough time to visit the Big Island Candies store by the airport before returning the car.

• 2 months later...