Newbie question about booking excursions

Cruisergal1975

Hello! I have heard that it isn't always necessary to book your excursions via the cruise ship but you take full responsibility for getting back to your ship in time for sailing....

I inquired with a snorkeling company about a trip while in Bonaire but they said local vendors cannot book with cruise ship guests directly - it violates a contract they have with the cruise line.

Is there some secret to booking excursions? The cruise ship is more than 2X the cost of booking direct! I wouldn't mind a slight markup but that is just absurd! We are going with friends and they are a family of 6 so that markup will really hurt them badly!

Any suggestions for a new cruiser looking to save a few bucks?

Hello! I have heard that it isn't always necessary to book your excursions via the cruise ship but you take full responsibility for getting back to your ship in time for sailing....

I inquired with a snorkeling company about a trip while in Bonaire but they said local vendors cannot book with cruise ship guests directly - it violates a contract they have with the cruise line.

Is there some secret to booking excursions? The cruise ship is more than 2X the cost of booking direct! I wouldn't mind a slight markup but that is just absurd! We are going with friends and they are a family of 6 so that markup will really hurt them badly!

Any suggestions for a new cruiser looking to save a few bucks?

I would guess that only those specific tours have a contract with the cruise line. Search around online, or possibly wait until you are there to find something, there are always tour guides at ports ready to take you somewhere. Bonaire may be different though.

I recommend TA research. I looked at Bonaire a while back and don't recall any option knocking my doors off.

I've had much success booking independent excursions over past few years. However, we had crap weather last month in St thomas. Happened to book catamaran via NCL. Every other cat cancelled that day, ours didn't. Cruise line gave us option for full refund if desired. I was impressed with that option.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...