Flam Train alternative

We cruised Norway last year and were really upset to think that we couldn't get a place on the Flam train as we were a late booking. It was suggested that we queue immediately for tickets on arrival at Flam. We had looked at alternatives on line before we went and I though that the Otternes Farm was an option. In the event, faced with long queues for a ticket (not guaranteed) we opted for the Otternes Farm. It was the best decision we made on this cruise. The walk, though sometimes uphill from Flam was never overwhelmingly difficult (we are both 60). The scenery was spectacular and looking from the farm included a wonderful view of the Cruise Liner in the blue of the Fjord. We were the only people from the Ship that we saw there, it was peaceful and extremely interesting with over twenty historic and varied Norwegian buildings. Fellow passengers who had secured a ticket on the train came back with mixed opinions. Those who had secured window seats loved it but the many with poor visibility and an overcrowded train did not think that the experience was a positive one for them. I thought I would post this as I know how disappointed I was not to get onto the train but Otternes was actually fabulous and better.