Kong Toey Port Bangkok

gail1000

We are docking at Klong Toey Port in Bangkok in January. Can anyone tell me if there is local transportation from the port....such as ferries, sky train, buses, metro etc that get you into Bangkok center. Can you walk to the sky train or metro or is it not a part of town for tourists to walk? Pat

We are docking at Klong Toey Port in Bangkok in January. Can anyone tell me if there is local transportation from the port....such as ferries, sky train, buses, metro etc that get you into Bangkok center. Can you walk to the sky train or metro or is it not a part of town for tourists to walk? Pat

Middle of an industrial/warehouse district, the international CARGO port area and one of the largest slums in Bangkok. Taxis/private buses/tours would be the only way in and out. Local buses would be "iffy" at best. Lots of "skin trade" in the area. I am still astounded that the cruise lines would even think of docking in Klong Toey. NOT exactly "cruise ship" territory.

Some interesting facts:

http://insearchofbangkok.blogsome.com/2005/07/07/journey-into-klong-toey-slum/

http://www.bangkokeyes.com/klongtoeyhistory.html

What ship would dock in that part of Bangkok ? :confused:

What ship would dock in that part of Bangkok ? :confused:

Quite a few of them now it appears. Oceania and Azamara IIRC. Other lines- some cruises yes, some cruises no-dock at Laem Chebang.

Cruise lines wanted to eliminate the 4 hour RT to Bangkok. So they are dropping off their cruise passengers in the slums and around all the international "skin trade" that is prevalent around any large industrial cargo port with international merchant marine presence (especially in Thailand and the Phillipines). I wonder if anyone actually got on a plane from the USA and checked the area out. Most likely not-relied on the local port agent, who often have a FAR different perspective about their home area than an American/European tourist.

As a long-term expat resident of Bangkok I'm surprised by the negativity of some members to your request for information...

Sure it's not the most attractive part of the city but please show me any port in the world which is...likewise for the 'flesh'...it's a port after all...

Interesting enough one of Bangkok's premier universities - Bangkok U - is right opposite the entrance to the port so it can't be all bad...

When the ship docks you will be able to take locally organised transport into the city area - mini vans, taxis etc. Forget public transport because it's a long walk from the dock to the gates of the port...

The BTS and MRT do not run to this part of the town and there are no water taxis as such...

One presumes you want to see something of Bangkok while you're here and if you took a tour they would pick you up from the ship and drop you back there again...this company gets good wraps from others who have visited on cruise ships both to Klong Toey and Laem Chabang...

Cruise ships arriving at either Klong Toey or Laem Chabang are thus far unaffected by the protests which are on-going throughout the city and around the airports...

If you are arriving or leaving by air it would be a good idea to check with your airline before hand for the latest updates...

Private tours from the ports would be unaffected by the current protests...

Archived