Where to Snorkeling

centuryguy

What's the best location to snorkle in Roatan? Princess has two excursions, one to Fantasy Island, which is advertised as a ship wreck reef tour, and the other is a day at Tabyana Beach. Which one of these would be the best? Also, my non-snorkeling wife will be going with me to hang out on the beach.

What's the best location to snorkle in Roatan? Princess has two excursions, one to Fantasy Island, which is advertised as a ship wreck reef tour, and the other is a day at Tabyana Beach. Which one of these would be the best? Also, my non-snorkeling wife will be going with me to hang out on the beach.

Hey,

I've been to both places that you have mentioned. Given these two options and a beach for your DW, I would pick Fantasy Island. The area to the west of the beach (past the Gazebo) has amazing coral. Tabyana beach is also fantastic. The snorkelling is good at the south end of the beach. Tabyana beach will be busy on a cruise ship day though.

Sandy beaches usually are not the best places for snorkelling to see aquatic life and coral.

If you are looking for a terrific snorkeling trip on Roatan (no beach) with plenty of aquatic life, pristine coral, a ship wreck, a 280' vertical wall, and almost no other tourists around, book a private tour with Upachaya.com

We did a tour with them in October. We're very experienced snorkellers, and we were amazed:D.

Forget the cruise line sponsored excursion and go to Maya Key (previously Fins and Flippers). We went there last cruise on advice from these boards and found the most amazing snorkeling at the end of their long pier which takes you right out to the reef. They are the reason we booked this same itinerary this year! The absolute highlight of our cruise :D

For awhile it looked like they were going to be bought out by one of the cruise lines, but apparently the deal fell through, as I reserved a spot for my group of 6. The cost is $30 per person and they pick you up and take you to their private island. Nice little pool, restaurant/bar and gift shop. The "ruins" are new as is the wildlife rehab, but we're just going for the reef!

We had a private guide take us to Half-Moon bay. We used THERIS DIXON, a former employee of Boden. She and her company were EXCELLENT and very reasonable. http://www.roatancruiseshiptours.com/ I highly recommend her services. Here are some not-quite-professional pictures I took. It was my first experience ever at snorkeling:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/575028343ORHCNk

to rslex, but the actual reef at Maya Key blows away all of your pics.

If you want the best you have to get away from the sandy beach where the coral can grow. I stand by my recommendation....you won't find any better than Maya Key in Roatan!

No doubt.

Archived