Need help. I have two small children

I have been to Progreso years ago (pre children). I remember it being dirty and not touristy. I know they have really done a lot of work making it nicer. I went to Uxmal and loved it. But will not be able to do anything like that with two small children.

My question is what should I do with my 3 1/2 year old and almost 2 year old. I was thinking about the bus tour ($3 I think?) and going to the free beach the shuttle takes you to. Is this a good plan? Is that beach safe for a family?

I have read people are pushy there. Should I be nervous about young children there? Is it sandy or rocky?

Thanks in advance. Your advice is always welcomed and great!!

The double decker bus is always fun and your children would probably enjoy riding that. The beach feels safe but the vendors there are very persistant and I have never been able to relax there for that reason. Once my husband and I walked a good distance down the beach (to the east I think) and no one bothered us. Of course, there were no chairs or loungers but we brought towels and we sat on those. The beach is sandy; I don't remember many rocks but just a few shells.

Malden has it right. Most of the people from the ship are going to be between Calle 80 and Calle 74 (streets) that is also where all the vendors will be. Head up the Malacon east. The farther you go the less vendors. There are a few restaurants (one has a pool you can use) up there as well and small food vendors selling food and drink. The beach is sandy and I don't recall ever seeing a lot of rocks. There are also occasional palms that offer shade. If you have a couple of strollers that would make it a whole lot easier.

Have a good time.