Taxi from Airport to Pan Am Pier with OSJ tour?

fishman620

We arrive into SJU at 12 :30 p.m. on the day of our cruise on Royal Caribbean and leaving early the day we disembark, so no chance to see the island of Puerto Rico this time around. Is there a shuttle company or taxi service that will take us on a quick little tour of OSJ and maybe Condado on our way to Pan Am Pier? I realize that we would have to negotiate a price with a taxi, how much would be a fair price? Thanks for any information.

We arrive into SJU at 12 :30 p.m. on the day of our cruise on Royal Caribbean and leaving early the day we disembark, so no chance to see the island of Puerto Rico this time around. Is there a shuttle company or taxi service that will take us on a quick little tour of OSJ and maybe Condado on our way to Pan Am Pier? I realize that we would have to negotiate a price with a taxi, how much would be a fair price? Thanks for any information.

The dispatcher at the airport will state the price to the Pan Am pier (probably $20-25). This is for your protection. I don't know if the dispatcher has any wiggle room on this.

If you go directly to the ship and check in, you will probably have a couple of hours to leave and come back. There will be plenty of taxis at the pier to take you into OSJ if you want.

I am sure you can find a taxi that will take you thru a driving tour of the old city, traffic is pretty bad there and it would take a few hours, so I would expect to pay up to 20$ an hour for this. Maybe more. Even though the taxi rates are regulated there are allowances for things like this, route changes etc.

You may be better off doing as above suggested and checking in then taking a taxi from Pan Am to OSJ, depending on your time frame you may have a few hours to walk around. Give yourself a lot of time to get back as traffic can be backed up, or plan to catch the taxi closer to the edge of OSJ and the taxi won't get stuck in traffic.

Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it. It sounds like we'd better just head to the ship, get checked in, then get a taxi to OSJ. Is it easy to flag down a taxi at the edge of OSJ to go back to the pier and how much will it cost, just so I know a price when I asked to be taken back to Pan Am Pier.

Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it. It sounds like we'd better just head to the ship, get checked in, then get a taxi to OSJ. Is it easy to flag down a taxi at the edge of OSJ to go back to the pier and how much will it cost, just so I know a price when I asked to be taken back to Pan Am Pier.

The fares are all regulated. I don't know the rates, but plan for around 20$ each way. It should be fairly easy to grab a cab that has just dropped someone off to get to OSJ and they are all over OSJ to come back.

I would also recommend heading to the ship first. You can check in, drop your bags, and head back out. There were taxis everywhere. You should not have an issue finding you one to take you to OSJ and back to the pier.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Taxis

The Tourism Taxi Program, recently instituted by the Puerto Rico Tourism Company, has simplified the fare structure between the airport and several major tourism zones in the San Juan area.

Metropolitan Areas/Tourist Zones

Zone 1 Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport

Zone 2 Isla Verde

Zone 3 Condado, Ocean Park and Miramar

Zone 4 Old San Juan, Piers in Old San Juan, Puerta de Tierra and Miramar

Zone 5 Conventions Center and Luis Rivas Dominichi Airport in Isla Grande

Fixed Rates from Luis Muñoz Maríln International Airport *

To Zone 2 $10.00

To Zone 3 $15.00

To Zone 4 $19.00

To Zone 5 $15.00

To Plaza las Américas $18.00

To Plaza Carolina $14.00

To Coliseo José Miguel Agrelot $14.00

Fixed Rates from Maritime Terminals and Piers *

From Old San Juan Maritime Terminal, Puerta de Tierra and Miramar to Zone 1 $19.00

From Old San Juan Maritime Terminal, Puerta de Tierra and Miramar to Zone 2 $19.00

From Old San Juan Maritime Terminal, Puerta de Tierra and Miramar to Zone 3 $12.00

From Old San Juan Maritime Terminal, Puerta de Tierra and Miramar to Zone 4 $10.00

From Old San Juan Maritime Terminal, Puerta de Tierra and Miramar to Zone 5 $9.00

From Old San Juan Piers to Plaza las Américas $14.00

From Old San Juan Piers to Plaza Carolina $24.00

From Old San Juan Piers to Coliseo José Miguel Agrelot $14.00

Fixed Rates from Convention Center or Isla Grande Airport *

To Zone 1 $15.00

To Zone 2 $15.00

To Zone 3 $9.00

To Zone 4 $10.00

To Plaza las Américas $12.00

To Plaza Carolina $22.00

To Coliseo José Miguel Agrelot $12.00

* Passenger will be responsible for paying for any and all tolls actually passed through during the itinerary.

Metered Rates

Minimum charge $3.00

Initial charge $1.00 x 1/13 mile

Charge $0.10 waiting time (every 45 seconds)

Each piece of luggage

(excluding hand pieces) $0.50

Extra piece of luggage

(after three pieces) $1.00

Reservation of unit $5.00

Hourly rental charge: $20.00

Night (10pm to 6am) over the meter charge $1.00

To verify rates contact the Puerto Rico Tourism Company (Transportation Division) 787-999-2100 or 1-866-2GOTOPR to verify current tariffs during your traveling dates.

"Charge $0.10 waiting time (every 45 seconds)" So does that mean that if you get stuck in traffic in OSJ, it costs you extra?

I just copied and pasted it from their web site, but I would think that would be if you ran in to the bank, store, or stop to get out and take pictures and look around. That to me would be a waiting fee. You would have to call or talk to them when you arrive but since they have flat rates I would not think being stuck in traffic would count. Maybe someone that has used the cab can chime in from their experience. I will not be in San Juan until this Dec.

Enjoy your cruise!

"Charge $0.10 waiting time (every 45 seconds)" So does that mean that if you get stuck in traffic in OSJ, it costs you extra?

No being stuck in traffic does not count as waiting time, that is just the time they wait for you like above said if you want to stop at a store etc. Possibly they may count from the time they get there to pick you up, but I am not sure about that.