Gay Friendly Caribbean Island

AFuncruiser

I think I've been to all of these places, including all the Dutch islands.

San Juan seems to be almost the de facto capital of much of the Caribbean. It has gay bars and what most of us would recognize as a gay community.

There is apparently a gay hotel in St Croix. And a few bars. http://www.gaytravel.com/st-croix/gay-scene

Haven't been there yet.

The rest of the USVI and the BVI seem very laid back, but I don't think there is much gay activity there.

St Bart's is inhabited by rich whites and European sophisticates. Too small for a gay scene, but I think you can be as gay as you want there. I didn't find a gay beach or bar there.

Cuba has a complicated gay scene, doesn't it? I don't have any experience with it.

The English-speaking primarily black Caribbean islands I've been to are the most homophobic. (Just an impression because I didn't put it to the test.) I found no scene in Barbados, for example, which is strange when you think about it. Some of these islands have gay friendly B&Bs though.

St Maarten has Cupecoy Beach, which I think was the most overtly and pleasantly gay place I've come across outside of Puerto Rico. I loved the place. However, the beach is now near a condo development, and I'm not sure whether that has had an effect on the beach. I'm going again next month, so I'll report back on it. I remember talking to one gay white guy in St Maarten a few years ago who said that the gays there would do their best to keep this beach. I didn't really find any nice gay bars on the island, although there was something. St Maarten is an interesting island, and worth keeping an eye on. I think a gay scene could develop here.

Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao are relatively relaxed and don't have the scary religious cr*p that you might see on some of the English-speaking islands. You could show affection publicly there, although it might raise a few eyebrows and it might provoke violence from young men. Curacao is openly selling itself as a gay friendly place. They list a few places on gaycuracao.com but I never checked these places out when I was there: http://www.gaycuracao.com/eng/parties.php I think it's significant that the government puts up a website and lists these places. This is a government that wants our business, and is openly saying: come and play. Curacao has a close, love-hate relationship with the Netherlands, so there is a significant Dutch influence there. It's not an Americanised island. However, I just didn't find a fun scene there. My impression is that there are openly gay men, both black and white, in Curacao, but it's not yet an island with an active bar or sauna scene per se. I think what they should do there is try to designate a beach as "officially gay".

Oranjestad in Aruba has a gay bar or two. I stuck my head in one, but I felt it wasn't enough to support a night out. What I did notice in Aruba is that the local gym was filled with shockingly beautiful men. The island is Americanised. I didn't find a gay beach there.

We are going on the Jewel of the Seas out of PR on January. all they gay action occurs in Condado.There are plenty of options to chose from. We will stay 3 nights pre and 3 nights post cruise so we expect to hit a club or 2. there is also a bathouse.

We are going on the Jewel of the Seas out of PR on January. all they gay action occurs in Condado.There are plenty of options to chose from. We will stay 3 nights pre and 3 nights post cruise so we expect to hit a club or 2. there is also a bathouse.

When in January? We are staying at the Marriott in Condado pre-cruise. We will be on Carnival Valor on the 19th.

Edited by shawne71

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We[ have visited many islands in the Caribbean, both on cruises and vacation. We have been to Puerto Rico many times. We prefer Isla Verde instead of the beach at Condado where the Atlantic Beach Hotel is located. We have met some great people who we continue to be in contact with. Head to Culebra (Flaminco Beach) if you get the chance. The two little islands off the eastern side of the main island of Puerto Rico and the Rincon area on the west side are very open.

Isla Mujeres (off the coast of Cancun) and Playa del Carmen on the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico are very accepting.

We enjoyed our time on St. Lucia, Dominica, St. Kitts, Barbados, and St. Martin / St. Maarten. We were with a group on Dominica, Barbados, and St. Kitts so perhaps that is why we didn't experience negativity. I do like the vibe of St. Martin. I also think you get a much better deal considering quality of jewelry on St. Martin than St. Thomas.

I must say that we never go to a "gay" club and generally and up doing things with straight couples.

We stayed at the Marriott on Condado Beach in January. We never did go check out the Atlantic Beach Hotel. We had fun just hanging out at our hotel, walking the streets, and people watching. We were there the weekend of the San Sebastián Street Festival in Old San Juan. I'd like to go back and sight see without the massive crowds! :eek:

The San Sebastian Street Festival is a huge party! The western side of Puerto Rico is noted for its surfing, especially during the winter. If you get the chance visit Guavate. The area is located in the hills between San Juan and Ponce. There a little party atmosphere there on weekends and the restaurants serve lechon (roasted pig).

• 2 months later...

I promised to report on Cupecoy Beach in St Maarten. We went there in December 2013. The nearby condo development hasn't ruined it. It was still "in operation" as a gay beach, and there were men cruising there. Because there are hollows carved out of the cliffs, there is a certain amount of privacy.

Following on my earlier comments about Curacao, it still seems like the island has a very split personality when it comes to gay life.

Officially, the island seems to be trying its damnedest to attract gay money. It's hard for me to understand why Curacaoan officials are marketing their island in this way when there is practically no open gay life at all.

My impression from two visits (one for a month) is that the island lacks a gay-friendly infrastructure. There is no gay neighbourhood, gay bars, gay beaches, gay events, openly gay hotels, gay sauna, and so on. Someone else would know better what gay life is really like on the island, but during my visits I didn't see anything resembling the scene in Puerto Rico (and even in Puerto Rico it's not all that great).

Indeed, many Curacaoans openly reject gay activities and gay rights as an wanted foreign Dutch thing. A bit of googling is enough to show that.

On the other hand, Gay Curacaoans apparently feel that public opinion is turning in our favour, although I haven't seen any polls.

I think there are a number of hotels and restaurants run by gay people (probably from the Netherlands) that are trying tentatively to promote themselves in the way they might do in the Netherlands. I'll leave it to someone else to list them.

Public demonstrations by gay groups have not been allowed in Curacao. However, a sort of private, quiet gay pride has been held there for two years now. A gay flag was displayed in Willemstad this year.

http://www.nieuws360.com/ingezonden/ingezonden-de-eerste-south-carribean-pride-op-curacao/

Edited by IslandExplorer

• 3 weeks later...

We probably don't meet the "norm" for gay travelers as we have never gone to a gay bar or attended gay events. We gone on vacation to relax and meet people no matter what their sexual orientation is. One hundred percent of the time we have ended up meeting other "straight" couples and doing things with them. We even keep in touch with them.

Curacao is a possible destination for us. This is one island we haven't visited yet. I heard it has great snorkeling, but the beaches aren't great.

• 4 weeks later...
I am surprised that the island on which I have resided for 10 years has not been mentioned. Vieques is very gay friendly.

It is a perfect pre/post 30 minute hop from San Juan.

You will not be disappointed.

http://vieques.travel/gay-and-lesbian.html

My hubby and I would love to spend a few days on Vieques post-cruise in March. Where would you suggest we stay?

My hubby and I would love to spend a few days on Vieques post-cruise in March. Where would you suggest we stay?

Check with Owen at Casa De Amistad, 787-741-3758. Its a great place, has a pool and is in downtown Isabel Segunda on the north side.

Good places to stay can be booked a year in advance since we have very few.

Let me know if I can be of further help.

Karen

Check with Owen at Casa De Amistad, 787-741-3758. Its a great place, has a pool and is in downtown Isabel Segunda on the north side.

Good places to stay can be booked a year in advance since we have very few.

Let me know if I can be of further help.

Karen

We will check into Casa De Amistad. Would you suggest taking the ferry over or flying? Thanks so much for your help! :)

Edited by shawne71

We will check into Casa De Amistad. Would you suggest taking the ferry over or flying? Thanks so much for your help! :)

If you were coming in say the next few months I would say fly. Our Marine Transportation Authority is in crisis mode right now. Only 4 of our 10 ferries are operating and when they do they are consistently 1-4 hours late which wreaks havoc to the residents and tourists.

When friends or family visit and their schedule allows it I always recommend taking the ferry so they can get a understanding of how we live our lives. That said if you are visiting pre/post cruise I would say fly to get the most of it. If you plan to visit for at least a week I would say take a ferry, it is about 75 minutes.

A few things you should know about Vieques. A rental car is a must and they book full months and months in advance, so plan accordingly. Vieques has no traffic lights on the island and the speed is 35 mph, island wide. Horses are abundant so you have to drive carefully, especially going around bends in the road.

You can drive with an open container but not a mixed drink although I would not flaunt that in front of a cops face. It is against the law but our police turn a blind eye. One thing the will give you a ticket for is not wearing a seatbelt. I cannot stress that enough. Those are about the only tickets they do give here.

Please keep me updated if you plan on coming so we can meet and please feel free to get back to me with any other question.

BTW, they just put us under a Tropical Storm Warning because of Bertha. Whoppee :)

• 1 month later...
If you were coming in say the next few months I would say fly. Our Marine Transportation Authority is in crisis mode right now. Only 4 of our 10 ferries are operating and when they do they are consistently 1-4 hours late which wreaks havoc to the residents and tourists.

Oh goodness, I'm glad I saw your post, Playa Cofi. I'll be traveling to Vieques in a month, and had been planning to take la launcha from Fajardo. However, it sounds like that may not be such a good idea, based upon what you write. I also have no idea yet how to get to Fajardo from SJU--had hoped to figure that out upon arrival.

Are there not taxis in Vieques, for getting around? Why do you say that a car rental is a necessity?

We're booked at Amistad, and are looking forward to it!

Edited by MaxGlycine

Oh goodness, I'm glad I saw your post, Playa Cofi. I'll be traveling to Vieques in a month, and had been planning to take la launcha from Fajardo. However, it sounds like that may not be such a good idea, based upon what you write. I also have no idea yet how to get to Fajardo from SJU--had hoped to figure that out upon arrival.

Are there not taxis in Vieques, for getting around? Why do you say that a car rental is a necessity?

We're booked at Amistad, and are looking forward to it!

Well if you are booked at Amistad you are in good hands. Since I do not know the details of when you are arriving, etc. give the owner Owen a call. He is an expert on advising his guests on the best way to arrive in Vieques depending on your arrival time, etc.

787-741-3758

Enjoy your time on Vieques :)

• 1 month later...
I promised to report on Cupecoy Beach in St Maarten. We went there in December 2013. The nearby condo development hasn't ruined it. It was still "in operation" as a gay beach, and there were men cruising there. Because there are hollows carved out of the cliffs, there is a certain amount of privacy.

This is good to know. I usually hit up Maho but I might give this one a try.

Sent from my iPad using Forums