Beach/bar Recommendation

FSRoberts

Looking for a beach to check out. Here are my preferences:

•  
  • Accessible by taxi from the pier (less than $15pp fare)
  • Bathrooms
  • Chairs/umbrellas for rent
  • A place to get drinks
  • Less crowded (my wife gets panic attacks in crowds)

I'm not worried about the water, we have no plans to do anything in the water beyond wading. I can live with vendors. I see Valley Church Beach often recommended, but I worry that it gets too crowded (though we are the only ship in port), but it might fit the bill.

Also, if there is any cheap bars or pubs near port worth checking out, I'd love a suggestion.

Looking for a beach to check out. Here are my preferences:

•  
  • Accessible by taxi from the pier (less than $15pp fare)
  • Bathrooms
  • Chairs/umbrellas for rent
  • A place to get drinks
  • Less crowded (my wife gets panic attacks in crowds)

I'm not worried about the water, we have no plans to do anything in the water beyond wading. I can live with vendors. I see Valley Church Beach often recommended, but I worry that it gets too crowded (though we are the only ship in port), but it might fit the bill.

Also, if there is any cheap bars or pubs near port worth checking out, I'd love a suggestion.

We were in Antigua a couple of weeks ago and had no plans for the day except find a cab and take it to a beach. We were approached by a very nice woman (one of about 50 in orange tour company shirts) that suggested a tour of the island including a tour of the rain forest and then we could be dropped off at Valley Church Beach. The cost was quoted at $25 per person without the beach and an extra $5 with the beach drop off and pick up.

I specifically asked if the guide would be telling us all about the island and I was assured she would hook us up with a good guide. After the woman found 4 others to take the tour, she started to take us to a van. In the meantime another 2 women recognized one of the couples and asked if they could go on our tour with our group which made 8 of us. That meant that the original van was not large enough so they called over a different driver and van. His name was Mason.

Well Mason didn't tell us about anything unless he was asked a question. Even then, he barely responded and was difficult to hear and understand. It is a long story, but the extra two women bailed on us and joined a different group which left the 6 original with a driver, not a tour guide. It was terrible, and we were not happy, but what were we to do? It was not what we wanted, were offered or what we paid for.

After a long ride around the island which included a drive through a rain forest, we were taken to Valley Church Beach. When I asked about coming back to get us, Mason didn't know anything about it and asked for his $50.00 for the 'tour'. We paid and were happy to be done with Mason.

The beach was nice enough. The water was kind of cloudy and there is a pretty good size drop off but we enjoyed the water and the rest of our day. The people at the beach arranged a taxi to come and get us at the time we agreed on. The driver came over once to introduce himself and confirm the time. At the time, he came and got us and asked if we minded waiting to share a taxi with another couple. After we waited a while, he took just us since the other couple wanted to stay longer. It cost us $8 per person to get back to the pier.

We paid $5 per chair and $10 for an umbrella at the beach. There is a bar/restaurant on the property. They have restrooms and a changing room. They said they had a shower, but it wasn't working at the time.

My point is beware of a 'tour guide' named Mason. If I had to do it again, I'd ask the guide a few questions before getting in the van to get a feel for what to expect. I think you can figure it out pretty quickly based on the guides responses. Once we got in the van, it was too late.

I tried to not let it ruin our day. We enjoyed the beach. I liked seeing some of the island, but I missed the 'tour' we paid for.

I think we should have planned a little better and stuck with just going to the beach. I don't know if the orange shirt people are taxi drivers or a tour company, but they all had a board with about 6 different beaches. I don't know what other beaches were nearby since the woman who sold us our 'tour' said Valley Church was the nicest. I don't know how true that was but it was nice enough.

We were the only ship that day and it was pretty popular but not too crowded for us. They do put the chairs and umbrella's pretty close together but if you are not a crowd person, you might want to ask to be closer to the end of the beach.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your cruise!

i dont know if you would be willing to do a day pass at a hotel. may and june we went to the jolly beach resort. its 75$ each person you get breakfast, lunch , all the drinks you want, they have 2 pools and a lovely beach. we brought 40 -people with us from the ship and it still was not crowded. we had loungers and umbrella and about 30 ft down the beach was the next couple and so one all they way down the beach.

We went to Coconut Grove on Dickenson Bay and it was perfect. Nice beach, small group of people, food, drinks and bathroom. We enjoyed the quietness of the day off ship. They do have people who try to sell their wares but just smile and say no thank you.

Do you remember what they charged for chairs, etc and did you happen to see if the snorkeling was any good there? We were planning on getting a day pass as the Rex Halcyon on the north end of Dickenson Bay, but for the cost maybe just going to the Coconut Grove bar would be better...