Galapagos June 2015

Definitely a cruise, that way you get to see many different islands. Also, choose a small ship. Perhaps the most upmarket ship is Silversea's Silver Galapagos but at around 100 passengers it might be too big. About 50 pax is best. There are lots out there. This is a busy place. Also, the Ecuadorian government imposes strict guidelines to cruise companies and I think has a minimum cruise length of 7 days. They also try as far as possible to coordinate schedules so that only one ship is allowed per island at any one times. Huge taxes pay for conservation but they make this a fairly expensive destination.

I agree, a cruise. There are several. We were on a South American cruise and took a 4 day excursion to the Galapagos and wished we would of stayed longer and seen more. Worth every single penny to be able to visit such a fantastic place.

• 1 month later...

I did an 8-day land based tour a couple of months ago. We visited San Christobal, Santa Cruz, and Isabela islands. We thought about doing a cruise, but kind of liked the idea of having a regular hotel room to go back to every day, plus we really enjoyed just taking a nice walk around town in the evenings.

You get to see more islands on the cruise based tours though, and I second the recommendation about getting into a mid-sized boat. We talked to a few folks that were on one of the smaller boats (~10 people) and they said they wished they had gone with a bigger boat due to a lot of motion.